Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Add Bevel to Coil Issue

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
igull
1165 Views, 3 Replies

Add Bevel to Coil Issue

Hi

Mac OSX 10.8.4 and Fusion360 1.8.601.

Seems that the bevel function (certainly the two dimensions option of it) is broken when applied to a coil.

It may well have something to do with the coil issue that I previously brought up (fixed).

Applying a 2.0mmx0.25mm bevel to a 2.5mm square coil (top or bottom) only shows about a 1.5mm x 0.25mm bevel. You need to go up to around 3.0mm before it shows as being approximately correct.

I haven't tried it with the other bevel flavours.

Cheers

Neil

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
jakefowler
in reply to: igull

Hi Neil,

Thanks for contacting about this issue!

I tried your workflow, and it seems I’m getting the expected result here. Just to confirm, you are using the Chamfer tool with the ‘Two Distances’ setting?

Is it possible to find out how you measured the size of the Chamfer? If you create a sketch at one end of the coil, and draw sketch lines to create a right-angled triangle based on the chamfer edge, the edge lengths of that triangle should match the Chamfer inputs:

coilsection.png

Another thing to confirm is that the coil profile is indeed 2.5mm x 2.5mm, if this is what you are expecting. Coil currently uses the circumcircle to define the profile size of square/triangle sections (not edge length). So to get a 2.5mm x 2.5mm square section coil, you actually need to define a circumcircle section size of (2.5 / √2). We’re aware that this might benefit from being easier to use, and we’re in discussion with the development team about this now.

If you’ve checked all these things, and the shape is still not as expected, perhaps we need to take a look at the model to diagnose the problem. You could do this by saving the model as an F3D file (using the Export Archive command from the application menu), zipping it to a ZIP file, and attaching this to the forum or emailing it to jake.fowler [at] autodesk.com; or you could just share the design from your Autodesk 360 Hub by inviting me to the group containing that Design, if you feel comfortable doing that.

Many thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 3 of 4
igull
in reply to: jakefowler

Hi Jake

Apologies for the tardy reply and thanks for looking at this issue.

I've attached a screenshot, seems that my 2.5mm rectangle isn't 🙂

The rectangle is actually 3.536^2 which is 2.5 * sqrt 2.

I do like your comment 'We’re aware that this might benefit from being easier to use,' LOL :-)))

Previously, the issue was with the internal diameter of the coil being the incorrect size - that was fixed, but the rest seems to be a bag of nails 🙂 I can do a workaround, but TBH that's not the solution.

Cheers

Neil

Message 4 of 4
jakefowler
in reply to: igull

Hi Neil,

Many thanks for confirming that! And glad you appreciate the professional response ;). Apologies for the inconvenience of this. We have this open as an issue with the development team, and I’ll continue to raise awareness that this is causing confusion.

Thanks!

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report