Did you mean: 

what kind of graphics card

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jmcsummit1
571 Views, 4 Replies

what kind of graphics card

I am running civil 3d 2008

I have an Dell Optiiplex GX620 and would like to add another monitor .  The monitor I would like to add is a View Sonic VX922.  The view sonics outputs are DVI and D-SUB (VGA). 

The computer specs are:

Intel (R) Pentium (R) D, CPU 2.8 GHz

Processor Speed 2.73 GH Memory 2 G

Plug & Play Monitor on Intel (R) 82945G Express Chipset Family

The computer has the classic desktop computer tower with a PCIe x16 slot

What type of video card should I buy to do this?  I would like to keep my costs as low as possible.

Thanks for your help!!

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
OMCUSNR
in reply to: jmcsummit1

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121391

Thats real close to what I just bought, and looks like a good deal (rebate makes it $159.  It'll take 2 slots & needs 2 power cords.  I've had 0 trouble with the one in my sig.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 3 of 5
Sinc
in reply to: OMCUSNR

A GTX 460 would largely be wasted on that system.  Might as well go with something like this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130670

That must be painful, though...  I'm not sure which one's more painful, running a 2.8 GHz Pentium D, or running C3D 2008...  Smiley Wink

Sinc
Message 4 of 5
jmcsummit1
in reply to: Sinc

Both of those cards are PCI Express and I need just PCI.  I definitely want to go with a least expensive option that will work for my setup.  The computer has a 128MB ATI Radeon X600 SE now which works well enough.  The monitor I want to use has both VGA and DVI outputs.  I was thinking maybe 256MB ATI x600 w/ dual VGA or DVI.  Will that work well with c3d 2008? 

Another quick question - Does PCIe mean PCI Express?  I am finding conflicting answers on the internet and I don't want to order a card that does not work since I will be putting it in by myself and am very new at it.

Thanks!

Message 5 of 5
Sinc
in reply to: jmcsummit1

Yes, PCIe is PCI Express.

Your entire setup is so painful, though...  Rather than try to improve a nearly-dead system, I think you'd be far better served by just getting a new i3-2120 with midrange GeForce capable of driving two large monitors, 8GB RAM, Win 7 x64, all for under $1000.  That would save you so much time and pain, from a user's point of view, that you'd make back the cost in time savings before too long.

The other big improvement would also be to get off of C3D 2008.  We used it when it was the latest version, but in retrospect, it wasn't ready to be used in production.  WAY too many problems.  Dealing with all the problems ate up so much time that it was not much better than Land Desktop.  There are also sundry problems involved with bringing files forward versions, and the older your drawings, the more problems you'll have when you finally do move to newer software.  The sooner you can get on C3D 2011 or 2012, the better.

Sinc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report