Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading Video Display Adapter

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
779 Views, 8 Replies

Upgrading Video Display Adapter

Would upgrading the Video Display Adapter from our current 256 Nvidia FX 570 Card to a 512 card be beneficial?  Would it speed up our Civil 3D drawings?  Would it keep the program from crashing as often.  We are currently running Windows XP w/ 4 gb ram.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: Anonymous

Yes most likely and be sure to download the WHQL certified driver from nVidia.com. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
Sinc

@Anonymous wrote:

Would it speed up our Civil 3D drawings?  Would it keep the program from crashing as often.  We are currently running Windows XP w/ 4 gb ram.

No, it won't speed up your C3D drawings.  The best you could hope for is a slight improvement in the responsiveness of 3D Orbits.

You really need to upgrade your computer to a newer CPU, more than 4GB RAM, and Windows 7 x64.  The effects of video card on C3D performance pale in comparison to these other three.

Sinc
Message 4 of 9
Anonymous

Listen to Sinc & see my sig.  Bought the parts at Newegg.com & put it together myself.  With a DVD burner & card reader & Win764 pro, came in at just under $1400.

Reid

Message 5 of 9
david.lau

Can you check out this URL for certified video cards?

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/cert?siteID=123112&id=16391880

I agree that if you have 4 GB of ram, you should use a x64 operating system.    The main advantage of x64 is that it can use more RAM and handle larger files.

2^32 = 32 bit

2^64 = 64 bit

Windows XP (32) can handle a max of 3 GB:

http://dwf.blogs.com/beyond_the_paper/2009/04/enabling-3gb-switch-on-windows-vista.html

David Lau
Message 6 of 9
pendean

XP only reads 3Gig, so you have one "idle" for the most part: as noted above, I truly believe you are wasting money on new video cards on such limited systems.

If you have a very tight budget, buy Win7 64bit for each PC, run it in Classic Mode to emulate WinXP in appearance: install that instead of a new video card, and take advantage of that idle Gig of Ram and improve performance a little bit more.

Message 7 of 9
Sinc
in reply to: david.lau

@david.lau wrote:

The main advantage of x64 is that it can use more RAM and handle larger files.

Even more important is getting off of XP and onto Win 7.  Win 7 has significantly-improved memory management over XP.  Civil 3D hammers the memory management, and exposes problems in XP, resulting in crashes.  Win 7 is much better at memory management.

And if you're going to Win 7, get the 64-bit.  If you have hardware that can't handle Win 7 x64, then you DEFINITELY need to replace your entire system - you can get some pretty awesome C3D machines for as little as $1000 these days.

The 3GB switch can help if you're crashing on "Out of memory" errors in C3D, but won't help with general crashing, the way moving to Win 7 will.

Sinc
Message 8 of 9
DarrenP
in reply to: Sinc

i would say the 3gb switch would probably cause more issues with your computer

i agree with the above post is to move to 64 bit

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 9 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: DarrenP

I agree with Darren.  Running the /3GB switch with Direct3D is a bad idea.  Upgrading the video card and using a WHQL driver always helps, but moving to a 64-bit system will be your best bet.

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report