Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trackball recommendations?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
Anonymous
373 Views, 2 Replies

Trackball recommendations?

Is anyone using a LaserTRAC trackball? I'm looking at the L-TRAC 2545, and was hoping someone has experience with it and opinions about it. It's about $120, and has "stainless steel support axles," which I assume is an indicator that it's built to last.

I like that it can be used ambidextrously, since I have taught myself to mouse with either hand, so I wear out my body parts evenly on both sides! I've used and loved thumb-ball-types in the past, and I'm looking for input pros/cons regarding this type of finger-ball device.

Please and thanks.
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

I have found that I do not care for trackballs that are operated by my index finger. I use a logitech trackman (right handed) which uses the thumb to control the ball. When using one with my index finger, I find that my hand gets tried faster. Maybe if I tired using the middle finger it would work better, but I f find them awkward. You use your index finger for just about eveything, and have to take it off the positions ball to click or scroll.

The size of the unit looks ok, but it really doesn't look comfortable to me. As to reliability, by trackman is over 8 yrs old and still going strong. It needs a regular cleaning (like once a week or so), but it's still going strong. I'd really recommend you go someplace and try one for a bit in store before buying, unless the mail order place will let you return it if it doesn't feel good.

Its also incredibily funny watching someone used to a mouse try to use a trackball or tablet.

Reid
Message 3 of 3
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

wrote
> I'm looking for input pros/cons regarding this type of finger-ball device.

I'm in the thumb-operated camp, but there are a lot of fans of the
center-ball MS Trackball Explorer who swear by it. If you want a
testimonial, they've been out of production for several years and they
routinely sell used on eBay for 4-5 times their original price:
http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?satitle=microsoft+trackball

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report