Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rack susgestions

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
271 Views, 5 Replies

Rack susgestions

I'm looking to build a back up rack server.
My only design constraints are SATA drives
initially it will have 4 drives but I'd like a capacity of
8 drives. I want to use Maxtor 300gb drives.
This box is to replace tape backups. I'm thinking
raid 5 also.

Any suggestions case wise, motherboard, raid card?
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
vstk
in reply to: Anonymous

My first thought is...............trash the Maxtors. I cant think of a drive I have replaced more of than those. Look at Seagate, you will find that with the NCQ they will out perform a 10,000 rpm Raptor. They come with a 5 year warranty. I replace very few of them. I talk with other techs that see the same problem with the Maxtor drives. vstk
Message 3 of 6
pyroman1

I agree, I've had a number of problems with Maxtor drives. Particularly, that they can be quite fickle about the mounting position.
Message 4 of 6
mount_mordor

Agreed, get rid of the Maxtors, I have seen too many fail in the past 2 years. And I think they now only offer a 1 year warranty on them too.
Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

oh I guess I should have said that these are the maxline series that come with the 5 year warantees, not the one year
consumer versions.

Maxtor MaXLine III 7B300S0 300GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache Serial ATA150 Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16822144363&ATT=Hard+Drives&CMP=KNC-goog13#DetailSpecs

In my research these drives outperform the seagate 300gb drives. I've read that the seagate 400gb's are horrible for
reliability.

Troy Grose <>
|>Agreed, get rid of the Maxtors, I have seen too many fail in the past 2 years. And I think they now only offer a 1 year warranty on them too.
Message 6 of 6
mount_mordor

Ya I don't know too much else about Maxtor, except that the drives that got thrown in mine, and my bosses computer, sure gave us little horns over our heads.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report