Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Preferred O/S for Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014?

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
JimStrenk
412 Views, 2 Replies

Preferred O/S for Product Design Suite Ultimate 2014?

I currently have Product Design Suite Ultimate 2013 installed on a Vista 64 bit Ultimate machine, an operating system which Autodesk no longer supports.  Besides lack of O/S support, the machine itself is 8+ year old and has begun to show it's age. :smileymad:

That being the case, I'm now in need of both a new machine, and an operating system.  For the machine itself, I'm looking at towered workstations with an AT form factor motherboard.  I have no need for a touch-screen monitor or tablet form factors. It is my intention to run/operate each and every application and each and every module that comes shipped with PDSU 2014.  I may also choose to run Adobe Encore and Adobe Premier Pro on this same computer.

Should I be using Windows 7 or Windows 8 for the operating system?

Any particular benefit using a Xeon processor over the fastest Intel Core i7 Extreme processor?

It's my understanding that Xeons are the preferred choice for computational accuracy.

Any tips, suggestions or comments on this particular subject would be most welcomed!

Jim Strenk

Inventor 2012 Certified Associate
AutoCAD 2012 Certified Associate

Product Design Suite Ultimate 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015,2016, 2017

Other than THAT, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play??
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
braudpat
in reply to: JimStrenk

Hello from France

The Fastest Possible Core i5 or Core i7 or Xeon - Only ONE processor  (it's ENOUGH)

With a Core i5/i7, you will have already 4 Cores ...

In fact, HP/Dell workstations (or other high end PCs) will propose only Core i7(or Xeon)

(Core i7 only 5-10% faster than a Core i5 at the same speed, so ...)

Eventually Xeon have more cache memory but are slower compared to Core i5/i7 (or the price will be very high)

- 16 Gb Ram maybe more (24/32) if you plan to create big 2D/3D models

- Windows Seven Pro 64 bits because Win 8 and Autodesk Software is TOO young !

- Graphics card : NVidia Quadro 2000 Series 2 Gb is the best choice today if you have money

or Quadro 600 1 Gb Series (cheaper) ...

Good Luck, Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Message 3 of 3
pendean
in reply to: braudpat

To add to Pat's reply....

Processor speed, i5 or i7, should be minimum 3GHZ.

Windows 7Pro 64bit is the minimum choice.

16GB Ram should be your minimum theswe days : you're not running your father's PC anymore.

Solid State Hard Drives if you want to take advantage of system speeds: 256Gig or higher, nothing smaller, you'll run out of space.

For video cards, this recent review may help:
http://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/articles/AutoDesk-AutoCAD-2013-GPU-Acceleration-164/

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report