Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Please comment on this setup (for AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Mudbox)

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
OttoDaesk
709 Views, 8 Replies

Please comment on this setup (for AutoCAD, 3ds Max, Mudbox)

Hi there!

Talked to a local dealer about a good computer solution for working with AutoCAD, 3ds Max and maybe Mudbox. Although he said I would actually need a workstation for that, he put together some sort of consumer/workstation mix, due to the price limit I specified. Here are the essentials:

• CPU: Intel Core i7-2600K Box, LGA1155

Mainboard: ASUS P8P67 Rev 3.0, So. 1155, ATX, DDR3

Graphics: PNY NVIDIA QUADRO 2000 1024MB DDR5 - 128-BIT PCI16X-EX 2XDP 1XDVI-I bulk

RAM: 2x 8GB-KIT Mushkin Enhanced Silverline Stiletto LGA1156 PC3-10667U CL9-9-9- 24

HD: WD Caviar Black 1TB SATA 3 8,9cm(3,5")

SSD: Crucial M4 128GB SSD 6,4cm (2,5")

CPU fan: Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B

Power unit: be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER CM BQT E8-CM-680W

Does that make sense in order to built a suitable machine?

Thanks

OttoDäsk

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
OMCUSNR
in reply to: OttoDaesk

It looks very good.

The only thing I'd question is the cost effectiveness of the SSD / Terrabyte HD.  I just can't see the bang for the buck with SSD's right now.  You can fill the 128gb drive with OS & programs pretty quick, and I've never got over needing more than 300 gig all told.

What I did was go with a 450gig Velociraptor.  Faster than the Caviars, but more expensive, not as fast as the SSD, but less expensive.  Good track record for stability.

If you have the money, though, that systems is sweet.

Reid

Re-read the post - get a HD that uses SATA 6.0 The MoBo supports it.  Faster data transfer.

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 3 of 9
OttoDaesk
in reply to: OMCUSNR

@OMCUSNR wrote:

Re-read the post - get a HD that uses SATA 6.0 The MoBo supports it.  Faster data transfer.

Thank you, OMCUSNR!

Seems the caviar HD is supporting SATA 6: 

http://www.wdc.com/global/products/specs/?driveID=792&language=1

Message 4 of 9
Sinc

Do you have any idea what your reseller meant by "you would need a workstation"?  The definition of "workstation" has gotten really ambiguous in the last several years.

The system you mentioned will give pretty close to the best possible performance for general Autocad usage.  You can get rendering performance better with an i7-990X, but the price differential between that and the i7-2600 is pretty large.  You can also get rendering performance better with multiple high-end Xeon processors, also at a higher price than the i7-2600.  But your general Autocad performance won't be any better (and is likely to be worse).

Sinc
Message 5 of 9
OttoDaesk
in reply to: Sinc

@Sinc wrote:

Do you have any idea what your reseller meant by "you would need a workstation"?  The definition of "workstation" has gotten really ambiguous in the last several years.

He said a workstation is typically designed to run in a 24/7 situation, therefore its components are tuned to do a steady day-by-day job rather than to perform for crisp benchmark results. Speaking of huge render jobs, this makes some sense, I believe.

Message 6 of 9
Sinc

@OttoDäsk wrote:

He said a workstation is typically designed to run in a 24/7 situation, therefore its components are tuned to do a steady day-by-day job

Did he give you any sense of what he meant by this?

I'm a bit confused by it...

Sinc
Message 7 of 9
OttoDaesk

@Sinc wrote:

Did he give you any sense of what he meant by this?

I'm a bit confused by it...

This is due to my poor English, maybe.

I guess what he meant to say was that a workstation is like a workhorse, while a normal gamers' machine is like a racehorse ... So he tried to setup a "vivid workhorse" for me Smiley Happy

Message 8 of 9
Sinc

Analogies mean little for something like this...

Typically, in the past, there was a distinct difference between a "workstation" and a "gaming machine".  That difference has been very blurred for several years now.

Once upon a time, a "workstation" had ECC/Registered RAM.  But RAM has gotten much better, and there is virtually no difference in performance between "normal" RAM and ECC/Registered RAM, especially if you are using RAM designed to handle overclocking and you are running it at stock speeds (which is typically the case for most business users these days).  So there is no longer the difference in RAM to differentiate the two.

A "workstation" used to mean "uses a Xeon" (at least for Intel CPUs).  Now, the only functional difference between "consumer" chips like the i3/i5/i7 and the Xeon is that Xeons support multiple CPU systems whereas the i3/i5/i7 do not, and Xeons support more RAM than the i3/i5/i7.  So if you need multiple processors or more than 32GB of RAM, then you want Xeon systems.  Otherwise, Xeons are a waste of money.  The only thing in Autocad that can take advantage of multiple CPUs is rendering, so by implication, Xeons only help for people who are heavily into rendering, because a multi-CPU system with high-end Xeons in it will outperform things like the i7-2600 and i7-990X.  But CPU speed also comes into play, so you still have to get Xeons with relatively high clock speeds, or your dual-CPU Xeon system still might not render as well as the cheaper i7-2600 system.  And the gains from RAM seem to start dropping dramatically after 8GB, except maybe for Revit.  However, the 32GB limit of the i7-2600 provides more than enough RAM for even Revit users.  So there's currently no real need for more than 32GB of RAM, and therefore no need to get a Xeon in order to support larger amounts of RAM.

A workstation used to mean "has a Quadro".  But that was at a time when Autocad required OpenGL graphics cards, and "gaming cards" only supported DirectX.  Now Autocad uses DirectX, and there's no advantage there to the OpenGL-capable cards.  There are some advanced rendering features that may only be supported by Quadro/FireGL cards and not by GeForce/RadeonHD cards, and your graphics card will likely have a significant impact if you are using a GPU rendering engine.  But for typical CAD work and with current hardware, there is no advantage to the Quadro/FireGL over the GeForce/RadeonHD cards.  You get better performance from higher-end cards, and the high-end Quadro cards outperform the high-end "gaming" cards, but they also cost an awful lot more for gains that are arguably beneficial.  Most users notice CPU speed far more than the graphics card.

So what exactly is a "workstation" these days?

Sinc
Message 9 of 9
OttoDaesk

@Sinc wrote:
But for typical CAD work and with current hardware, there is no advantage to the Quadro/FireGL over the GeForce/RadeonHD cards.

So you won't go for the Quadro card in my setup (which indeed is the most expensive item)?

@Sinc wrote:

So what exactly is a "workstation" these days?

Would make a nice new topic.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report