cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 6
sephir555
766 Views, 5 Replies

PC or MAC

Hey I am looking to buy a new computer to run autoCAD on. Untill recently I was planing on switching to  a mac since autoCAD 2011 for mac came out. Then I started to read some reviews for the program and I see that a lot of people are not satisfied with the way it performs on the mac. I am looking for any advice that will help me make this decission. Also my budget for a new machine is $1,800.00 max.

In case this helps, I use autoCAD to make shop drawings for architectural approval. In the near future I plan to go back to school for architecture or engineering. Thanks

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
pendean
in reply to: sephir555

I suspect your budget is what will move you away from Apple, not much else: AutoCAD for MAC is a "native" application, i.e. it looks nothing like AutoCAD in Windows, which is a challenge for experienced AutoCAD users to wrap their heads around easily. It's also a "version 1.0", and most software users with any experience tend to shy away from them or allow them a lot of give, especially when Windows-abilitites are dropped from the Apple version (isn't it due for an annual upgrade soon anyway?).

So... are you looking to use only plain-Jane AutoCAD 2012, or a vertical like Architecture 2012 or REVIT 2012? School plans within the 3-4year life-cycle of a power machine, or longer/further away than that? Is a monitor part of your pricing, or does it need to be separate? Laptop or desktop?

Message 3 of 6
seskinner

I agree with pendean. The Mac software is too new.

I'd recommend a minimum 64 bit Win Pro, Core i5 or i7, 8GB triple channel memory, nVidia GTX570, Solid State Drive for OS and apps and a second standard HDD for file storage if you're not using a server. With AC, memory is the key.

Message 4 of 6
sephir555
in reply to: seskinner

I see, you certainly make a good point that mac version is new and unpolished. I am now more sure than before that I will go with a PC. My budget is definietely 1,800.00 max not including shipping and tax but that does include the monitor that I would like to be at least 23", and its a desktop. My friend recommended this website to me ibuypower.com for very powerfull machines at a reasonable price, they are built for gaming but those are usually the ones with the most kick in my experience.

Message 5 of 6
pendean

Start with the recommendation above, start matching with your website.

FYI, I sit in front of an HP 25" all day and I would not trade it in for anything: the screen real-estate is phenominal and it did not really cost that much either.

Message 6 of 6
TravisNave
in reply to: pendean

Agreed.  You'll get more for your money on a PC and have a wider array of compatibility across other platforms.  I've seen a lot of engineers buy two widescreen LCDs and are in love with them.  Might be something to consider. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report