Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Only lenovo recommended for design suits??

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
marcsdesk11
666 Views, 4 Replies

Only lenovo recommended for design suits??

Can anyone explain why autodesk recommends only lenovo for certain design suits. I have read many post's re: laptops work stations and I'm in the market to purchase a new one. The recommended lenovo w530 I up graded to i7-3820qm, win pro 64 bit, quadro k2000m ,16 gb memory, 180 gb ssd sata3., 2nd 500gb hdd 7200rpm. I also found a hp 8770w with similar specks and a 17 inch screen and a 280 gb ssd and quadro 3000 for the same money. I looked at dell as well. I want to spend this money one time and want to be sure i do not sell myself short for a few hundred dollars. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated,

Marc

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
pendean
in reply to: marcsdesk11

Lenovo was invited to the playground and HP / Dell / everyone else was not perhaps.

Message 3 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: marcsdesk11

Do not read "recommendation" as "limited to only".  Look at what the recommended systems have, find something somewhat comparable in speed (CPU), RAM, and video card.  Not every vendor will be asked, or will reply, when a software developer requests product recommendations.  Similarly, those specific hardware may represent the hardware vendors view of what they recommend, not what is best for certain tasks.

Professionally used hardware can be expected to be replaced every 3-4 years on average, possibly up to five years with some forethought.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 5
jokermtb
in reply to: dgorsman

Perhaps Autodesk was paid for that Lenovo recommendation....?  Who knows, but more importantly, is the video card drivers on Autodesk's certified list.....both the FirePro 4000m and Nvidia Kx000 series cards ARE certified.   Therefore, it really doesn't matter which brand you choose, ultimately.

That said, I'm also looking for an imminent workstation replacement.  As a small biz, I really can't see spending much over $3k for my computer.   That said,  I spec'd almost the same Lenovo as the OP : 16gb of pc3-12800 ram, i7-3820qm processor, 500gb 7200rpm drive, 15.7" FHD screen, bluetooth/centrino ultimate ethernet, 2 year accident plan, 170w docking station, and gig bag all for around $2800 (includes their 10% lenovo coupon). 

I'm also on the fence about this computer vs the very similar offerings from Dell and HP, which similarly spec'd would cost a couple hundred more (no 10% off coupon!)....

I suppose having 3 very good options is a happy problem....

Message 5 of 5
marcsdesk11
in reply to: jokermtb

I,m leaning towards hp 8770w i configured it with a i7-3720qm, 180gb ssd drive,  2nd 500gb 7200rpm hd  memory16 gb 1600mhz  17.3 led fhd extra battery  and warranty 3 year + for under $3,500.00  call small business support they will give you more discount than on line . Hope this helps

Marc

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report