Did you mean: 

New Machine Query

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
trevor.siu
537 Views, 2 Replies

New Machine Query

Hey Guys,

I am in the middle of spec'ing out a new PC for use with Revit, Inventor, Autocad, and NX.  I was talking to someone that said that Xeon processors are better for this kind of modelling over i7.  Anyone have any experience/advice?

Cheers

Trevor

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
dgorsman
in reply to: trevor.siu

Doubtful under most budgets.  Search the threads here for some soapbox-speeches on Xeons and "workstations".

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 3 of 3

I'll spare you the rant on what I've been through in trying to obtain a great CAD machine for the type of programs you cite in your question - in a nut shell (my experience) the single biggest advantage to a XEON over the newer i5/i7 processors is the memory issue. From Intel "The Intel® Core™ i7 desktop processors and desktop boards typically do not support ECC memory. ECC memory is usually used on servers and workstations, rather than on desktop platforms."  That said, there can be a motherboard here and there that claims to support it and I think there are actually 3 of the higher priced i7s that support it.

If you do a price compare you will find that the new E3 Xeons are a good buy compared to the i7's -  i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad is about $300 and you can spend almost anything you want on memory - but it appears to me that the single core number is what you need to pay attention to, not so much how many cores. - with all but the really complex models, hyperthreading take off a good amount of the load and it works with a good graphics card.

The Xeon E3-1270 Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 80W Quad-Core is about the same price - but - it fully supports ECC and from experience, this is a big difference in the amount of stability you get in the system. So I would always opt for stability - but both will perform almost identically in terms of actual system speed - assuming all things are equal. And ECC memory direct from say Crucial is a good buy - cheaper than the likes of Newegg, etc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report