cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 9
mikeshick
536 Views, 8 Replies

Monitors

Looking to get new monitors.  Currently working with (2) 19" square (Neove E-19).  Looking at going to (3) 24" widescreen. 

Considering what seems to be a great buy from newegg:

ASUS VW246H for $199 

or

http://www.agneovo.com/us/content/l-w24.asp

Neovo L-W24 - 24" for $280

Any comments about (3) 24" wides?  Not sure if they will actually be too big for comfort.

Also, any other recomendations for montiors?  I love the E-19's, but don't need the protective glass, and really wanting more screen with the wide screens. 

Also, I have a Nvidia gtx 285 currently.  Is there any problem buying a second card that is different?  Probably would get:

GeForce GTX 480 or GeForce GTX 670

Would appreciate any help you all may have.

BTW, using for Civil 3D, Architecture, and Revit with occasional rendering...mostly just straight engineering.

Thanks.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
pendean
in reply to: mikeshick

(2) 25"-27" would be my recommendation, and go with quality not "cheap" price: (3) gets to be excessive especially with larger wide screens. I mean, you will multi-task but I can't imagine your behavior needs to change so dramatically from (2) to (3) screens today or tomorrow, right? Spend a little, skip the bargains.

Message 3 of 9
mikeshick
in reply to: pendean

Thanks, Dean.  When you mention "not cheap," could you provide some specs to go along with that? 

As far as number of monitors...definitely I want (3), but was wondering if the 24"wide size would be excessive.  I've been using (2) 19" square for a long time, since 2006.   And have loved them.  Went ot (2) 21" wide at my house, and loved that even more.  Now, for a number of years, been wanting the third.  I generally have CAD open on the main...then internet,outlook, and support engineering software on the monitor 2.  With the third, I could have one more engineering program open...I think it would increas work flow a bit and make a very nice set up.

I'm not as interested in going to 25"-27"...that seems too big for me.  I love having the seperate monitors to send programs using ultramon. 

Anyhow...if you could provide specs to think about, that could help in shopping.

Thanks a bunch.

Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 4 of 9
Manofmayo66

I have 4 monitors for civil 3d which seemed to work well. 3 are 1920x1200 monitors & 1 is a 1920x1080 rotated to portrait mode. Is it wide? Yes, but not excessively so. I am running this on a AMD V7900.
Message 5 of 9
mikeshick
in reply to: Manofmayo66

What are the sizes of monitors? What monitors do you have? What caused you to go with that setup? Thx. Mike Shick 805.610.9545 Sent from my iPhone
Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 6 of 9
Manofmayo66

I have a mix of monitors, upgrading when I can afford it.   The large monitors are 24" and the smaller one is a 23".   I have 2 Asus 1920x1200 monitors (3 years old), a new Dell U2412 and a new Asus 23" w/ a fully adjustable stand.  My planned buildout for monitors is (1) 2560x1600, surround by the Dell U2412's, but that is probably a year or two away.

I have been using 3 monitors now for 3 years.   I find that while I can get all the toolbars, etc on 2 displays with the command line on the 3rd, it is nice to spread them out a bit more so I can increase the size of the toolbars (like the layers).  The 4th monitor is used to show markups, watch netflix, etc.  The 4th monitor is also nice when I have to launch a separate Autocad session (or multiple sessions).

Left to right, my setup is as follows: 1920x1200 landscape (Asus), 1920x1080 portrait, 1920x1200 landscape (Dell), 1920x1200 (Asus).

Message 7 of 9
pendean

A single 25" or 27" monitor is double a 19" monitor width: add a second 25" or 27" and you have 4x the display space of a single 19" (or 2x your dual-screen 19" setup).

I'm all about work here and getting things done: I don't have a 3rd monitor for "netflix", or a 4th monitor for occasionally launching a second session of AutoCAD, or a second monitor used exclusively to clutter with every toolbar and pop-up AutoCAD has to offer (that's what Workspaces are for).

Why do you think you need (3) monitors? Other than the wow factor of course 🙂

Ideal setup IMHO for someone coming off 19" is to go with 25" or 27" (24" you are looking at are on the consumer market, low end): Primary monitor has AutoCAD, highly customized Ribbon is docked to the side not the top or bottom, command line floating if you are current with your AutoCAD license. Second Monitor for the other applications you must use when you don't need AutoCAD expanded across both for the few times you need either two files open side by side (AutoCAD's built-in feature) or working on a detailed file that requires a higher zoom-out level a single monitor can't handle: Mail client, word processor, spreadsheet program, ftp software and all the rest are good for the second monitor.

Remember, you can always add more monitors later: trying to bust the bank on your first outing at using real CAD monitors is not the way to go.

Message 8 of 9
mikeshick
in reply to: pendean

Thanks for the response, Dean. If you could, I'd still love if you could articulate on specs regarding cheap vs not so cheap. I'm not concerned about price...I'm looking for value! As for (3) monitors....I agree...all about getting things done! I listen to radio when I don't need to concentrate too much...but I admire someone who can focus on work and watch movies at the same time. I'd be a mess 🙂 So why (3) monitors - well, it's just as you say...CAD on one, of course, then spreadsheet, email client, etc on the other, and for me, I generally am designing (structural and civil) with (2) different engineering programs open at the same time, then transferring info back and forth from spreadsheet, then to CAD. One way or another, I'd benefit by having 3 full screen programs open almost all the time. Further, I rarely use paper at all (paper plans, spec books, etc...). Almost everything I do is electronic. So, I also have a PDF of architectural plans or spec books open, or some code book. To be honest, I probably could increase efficiency with even 4 monitors, and maybe I'll go that route some time....but wanted to give 3 a try before 4. Though 25-27" could be double real-estate, or more than (3) monitors, I haven't found a good enough monitor program that makes window resizing and tiling efficient. One monitor, Windows has a great tool for ? sizing an program. But with more than one monitor, the best I can find is a quick button allowing you to through program on another monitor. And quite frankly, though I tile sometimes, I prefer working with programs maximized. So, that's my story on why I'd like (3-4) 24" screens. No wow factor at all. Funny thing is, back in 06 is when I went to dual monitors. I did it because I am a single man shop, still new in business, had been doing structural for about a year, then had to buy Civil 3D for some civil projects, but couldn't afford spending more to complete the LDD package with the Civil module....so had to learn Civil 3D overnight on 5 civil projects. I paid for the software the first month...but I still suffer from a bald spot where I unconsciously pulled out my hair for several weeks. But the reason why I went to dual monitors - there were so many freaking tool pallets that I was accessing all the time, and I also needed to have different AU articles, white papers, EE tutorial stuff, and blogs from Dana Probert up...so I could read and learn Civil 3D more efficiently. It was amazing, and changed my workflow efficiency ever since. I'd never want to go back...and as the posts state...looking to add more efficiency. Thanks for your words on this. Look forward to more ideas from anyone that has 'em. Sincerely,
Mike Shick
www.medesigns.us
Message 9 of 9
pendean

If you are only after "value", you're looking at the correct products then.

Seated position and user comfort (head/eyes to monitor) is where I'm going with my replies: how much time will you spend looking at each monitor? What angle will your head be? keyboard and mouse? Remember, you only have two now, and small ones at that, so that's not a good source for information. Move them apart, each of your new monitors is about the same size as the two you have now: Position them around, get props for the 'gaps' and for the third and fourth wide monitors you wish to add. Where is your head/neck position? Can you sit like that 40-60 hours a week?

Remember, we all use AutoCAD and other programs all day long just like you, only some of us are "drafters" with single drafting tasks to do all day (not meant to offend anyone, it's just a description of a profession).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report