Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

loud clunky noises from disk drive

25 REPLIES 25
Message 1 of 26
markaschuster
500 Views, 25 Replies

loud clunky noises from disk drive

ughhh, computers...in my decade working with them they seem to crash alot...and I still don't know if that is 'normal.'

Also my disk drive makes lots of scary loud clunky noises...like especially after I remove a disk and then try to open a new file on my C drive, etc...this happens at work and even on my new Dell at home...I assume this is all "par for the course" and nothing to be concerned about?
25 REPLIES 25
Message 2 of 26
Anonymous
in reply to: markaschuster

"markaschuster" wrote in message news:25383923.1104480722586.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > ughhh, computers...in my decade working with them they seem to crash > alot...and I still don't know if that is 'normal.' > > Also my disk drive makes lots of scary loud clunky noises...like > especially after I remove a disk and then try to open a new file on my C > drive, etc...this happens at work and even on my new Dell at home...I > assume this is all "par for the course" and nothing to be concerned about? I've always associated loud clunky noises (not normal seek chatter) as a pretty good pre-failure indicator... but rereading your post... do you mean your floppy drive makes noises? Floppy yes, hard drive no.
Message 3 of 26
Anonymous

On Fri, 31 Dec 2004 08:11:32 GMT, markaschuster wrote: >Also my disk drive makes lots of scary loud clunky noises...like especially after I remove a disk and then try to open a new file on my C drive, etc...this happens at work and even on my new Dell at home...I assume this is all "par for the course" and nothing to be concerned about? It could be that the files you are copying are too large, and cause the read-write head to crash into the disk platter. Try splitting the file up into smaller, lightweight bits. Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com (P.S. That's a joke)
Message 4 of 26

Yes, the disk drive(?) makes loud noises; even when it is READING the disk it makes unsettlingly loud noises and carries on...
Message 5 of 26
Anonymous

I'd say you better have everything backed up.

John Postlewait
IS Department
George Butler Associates, Inc.
Message 6 of 26

I still don't understand why my floppy drive(?) makes so much load noises--do I have too much stuff on the disk like someone suggested? I mean I like to take my CAD work home to work on it and I put it on a disk...Like I said, I have a new Dell at home...!!!
Message 7 of 26
Anonymous

"markaschuster" wrote in message news:19341520.1104681697575.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >I still don't understand why my floppy drive(?) makes so much load >noises--do I have too much stuff on the disk like someone suggested? I mean >I like to take my CAD work home to work on it and I put it on a disk...Like >I said, I have a new Dell at home...!!! Are you opening files from the floppy? That can certainly create problems, as AutoCAD wants to put all sorts of temp files in the same location as the opened file, thus filling up a floppy. Not to mention that a floppy is slow compared to a hard drive. If you must use a floppy to transport files, then copy them from the floppy to the home hard drive, work at will, then move them back for transport. And I would argue against ever using a floppy at all. The quality has gone down to the point where you just can't trust them. Little is more frsutrating than putting something on a floppy to take home, and having the floppy fail when you get there. A much better option is a small flashdrive. A 32M USB flash drive will give you more room than 20 floppies, is faster, is more reliable, and will cost you all of $30. Much better as a transport mechanism in my book. Best, Gordon
Message 8 of 26

sorry could you tell me a little about this "32M flash" thing... How do I get it; how do I use it/install it...?
Message 9 of 26
Anonymous

you can buy them almost every where now a days. Wal-mart, target, best buy, kmart....... basically any place that sales electronics. They are about the size of key chain, about 2" long and 1/2" wide. It hooks up to any USB port and acts like a drive to store anything. You can get them in any size from I think 25MB to 2GB and they are reusable. Cost vary based on size and brand, around $25-$250. "markaschuster" wrote in message news:19773077.1104784807683.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > sorry could you tell me a little about this "32M flash" thing... How do I get it; how do I use it/install it...?
Message 10 of 26
Anonymous

I couldn't live without my thumb drive... it is only 128mb, which was sufficient when I started using it just to transport database and dwg files from my laptop to my desktop (I always hated floppies), now I use it for.... well, everything... get one, you won't regret it. "Dustin" wrote in message news:41d9b192$1_2@newsprd01... > you can buy them almost every where now a days. Wal-mart, target, best > buy, > kmart....... basically any place that sales electronics. > They are about the size of key chain, about 2" long and 1/2" wide. It > hooks > up to any USB port and acts like a drive to store anything. You can get > them > in any size from I think 25MB to 2GB and they are reusable. Cost vary > based > on size and brand, around $25-$250. > > "markaschuster" wrote in message > news:19773077.1104784807683.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... >> sorry could you tell me a little about this "32M flash" thing... How do I > get it; how do I use it/install it...? > >
Message 11 of 26
Anonymous

See here http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?id=cat01049&type=category -- Paul Houlker Rimex Supply Ltd www.rimex.com "markaschuster" wrote in message news:19773077.1104784807683.JavaMail.jive@jiveforum2.autodesk.com... > sorry could you tell me a little about this "32M flash" thing... How do I get it; how do I use it/install it...?
Message 12 of 26
Anonymous

Any brand you gentlemen recommend? I don't have the two computers I use networked and sometime email myself files and notes. This device sounds too good! Just plug into a USB port and use like a floppy? Anne Dustin wrote: > > you can buy them almost every where now a days. Wal-mart, target, best buy, > kmart....... basically any place that sales electronics.
Message 13 of 26
Anonymous

"Just plug into a USB port and use like a floppy? " Yep, and most require no software to be installed so you can go to anyones computer and just plug it in and it will apear as a removable media drive (Drive E: F:, what ever is open) -- Paul Houlker Rimex Supply Ltd www.rimex.com
Message 14 of 26
Anonymous

Any brand recommendations? Bet those get banned from defense industry sites just like picture cell phones. Anne Paul Houlker wrote: > > "Just plug into a USB port and use like a floppy? " > > Yep, and most require no software to be installed so you can go to anyones > computer and just plug it in and it will apear as a removable media drive > (Drive E: F:, what ever is open)
Message 15 of 26
Anonymous

On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:04:46 -0500, Anne Brown wrote: >Any brand recommendations? Bet those get banned from defense >industry sites just like picture cell phones. Anne, I've been using a 256MB unit from SimpleTech, which works pretty well. All of them are pretty much the same, performance wise. The things you should look out for are: 1. Price/MB. The lower the better, obviously. 2. Is it _truly_ a USB 2.0 device? Some advertise USB 2.0 compatibility, which doesn't make sense because everything USB 2.0 is backward copmpatible with USB 1.1. 3. Look for ones with a neckband / latch on the device itself, not the cap. 4. Write protection switch and/or LED read/write light Note: You can create a DOS-bootable USB key by using the HP USB key format utility found here: http://h18023.www1.hp.com/support/files/server/us/download/21621.html It works on any USB key over 128MB Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 16 of 26
Anonymous

I have a kingston... http://www.kingston.com/products/datatraveler.asp like this... I had to use the install cd to get my laptop running win 2000 to see it... only thing to beware of, can't run on NT out of the box, you have to buy some sort of specialized driver to run usb on nt (not that a lot of people are still on NT, but, I still have a couple pc's around here that are, and it is a pain in my tush) "Anne Brown" wrote in message news:41D9EBAE.3998243B@autodesk.com... > Any brand recommendations? Bet those get banned from defense > industry sites just like picture cell phones. > > Anne > > Paul Houlker wrote: >> >> "Just plug into a USB port and use like a floppy? " >> >> Yep, and most require no software to be installed so you can go to >> anyones >> computer and just plug it in and it will apear as a removable media drive >> (Drive E: F:, what ever is open)
Message 17 of 26
Anonymous

Thanks Matt especially for the tip on the neckband latch. Easiest store for me to get to up here in the boonies/wilds is a Staples. They have a couple on sale until 1/8 so I'll mush on over and take a look. Anne Matt Stachoni wrote: > > On Mon, 03 Jan 2005 20:04:46 -0500, Anne Brown > wrote: > > >Any brand recommendations? Bet those get banned from defense > >industry sites just like picture cell phones. > > Anne, > > I've been using a 256MB unit from SimpleTech, which works pretty well. (snip)
Message 18 of 26
Anonymous

1.0 G JetFlash
Works good no Problems.
Unbelievably handy device.
Remember the notebook of cd's you had to carry around whenever you had to work on friends, family, or off-site computers?

John Postlewait
IS Department
Message 19 of 26
Anonymous

On Tue, 04 Jan 2005 16:11:33 -0500, Anne Brown wrote: >Thanks Matt especially for the tip on the neckband latch. Easiest >store for me to get to up here in the boonies/wilds is a Staples. >They have a couple on sale until 1/8 so I'll mush on over and >take a look. You don't have an Amazon or NewEgg.com up where you live? :) Matt mstachoni@comcast.net mstachoni@bhhtait.com
Message 20 of 26
Anonymous

I would also say be sure to get a USB extension cable.
You would be surprised at the locations of the USB ports on the fronts of computers. That extension sure beats crawling around to the back.

John Postlewait
IS Department

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report