Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lian Li case: PC-V2120

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
WORKSTATIONresearch
815 Views, 2 Replies

Lian Li case: PC-V2120

I’m putting together an engineering workstation.  Many on this forum have given favorable mention for Lian Li computer cases.  I’m interested in the Lian-Li PC-V2120 case (HTPX m/b size), but am unable to get Lian Li or distributors to verify that this case will not allow unfiltered air to come into it.  Lian Li’s website shows one filter on the bottom of the case.  On the photos they show the airflow with intake air through the bottom air filter and through the front.  However there is NO image to show that air coming through the front is filtered.

Naturally, I do not trust what I’m being told so far.  Lian Li, in a response, said the case does NOT have air filters.  But their website shows one on the bottom.  The person that responded at Lian Li said they do not supply air filters because they cut down on air flow.  That seems non-sense since that only means that intakes need to be sized accordingly to accommodate adequate airflow with filters installed.  Further, by only supplying the one filter shown on the bottom of the case, filtered intake air really doesn’t exist, if the image is to be believed.

If anyone owns or uses one of these cases could you please supply a photo that would demonstrate air is filtered at the other intake fans.  Distributors are unwilling to open boxes to verify what exists in terms of case filters so what can be found from forum responses will have to be the final word on intake filters.  This case is only supplied by a few distributors in North America.  NCIX is the only one found so far that has stock on this case and they were unable to determine from the packaging on the outside if intake filters were supplied.

Alternatively, if anyone is using an HTPX size case could you please provide the manufacturer, model, specs and whether intake air is completely filtered.

TIA

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3

ha ha .. $300-400 for a computer case. silly

It better be filtered for that price.. Heck it better have a beer tap on it too.

This review talks about the fans/filters.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2011/03/17/lian-li-pc-v2120-review/1

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inventor 2023 - Dell Precision 5570

Did you find this reply helpful ? If so please use the Accept Solution button below.
Maybe buy me a beer through Venmo @mcgyvr1269
Message 3 of 3

Thanks for the info McGyvr.  Lian Li’s Sales Department was not helpful on the filter issue (in contrast to the review you provided) as follows:

Bit-Tech review: “...However, we doubt that this will be particularly effective, as air doesn’t like to travel in contorted right-angles. Both intake fans are fitted with removable dust filters (accessed internally), and the five 5.25in drive bay blanking plates above are also fitted with washable, removable dust filters. ...” 

WORKSTATIONresearch says: This review,  unfortunately,  does not reflect Lian Li website Feature disclosures for this case, which have legal consequences if their specs do not reflect what actually exists in their product.

And if you can understand their responses to me you are a better person than I, since the specs and photos don’t disclose what Lian Li’s responses were to me. 

Now to the comment about Lian Li’s features; the following are copied and pasted responses from Lian Li’s Customer Service Dept:

-----------------------------------------------

Sent: date
To: WORKSTATIONresearch
Subject: RE: LianLi Website-Contact Us

Hi WORKSTATIONresearch,

What i mean is the front 2x 14 cm fans can’t add any filter ...

For the top 3 fans , you can add the following .

http://www.lian-li.com/v2/en/product/product06.php?pr_index=444&cl_index=2&sc_index=10&ss_index=114

-----------------------------------------------

To: Lian Li Sales

Hi Lian Li Sales:

Are you saying that some of the intake fans bring in unfiltered air?  My intention is to add fans to the available outlets at the top of the case which could negate your comment about insufficient airflow.

TIA for your reply.

Regards, 

WORKSTATIONresearch

------------------------------------------------

To: WORKSTATIONresearch

Hi ,

There is not filter in front of the case . 

Add the filter will not have enough air flow .

­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­­-------------------------------------------------
To: Lian Li
Subject: LianLi Website-Contact Us 

* Mail Subject            Sales Request

-------------------------------------------------

Message: I looked carefully at what Lian Li provides to describe their PC-V2120A case and did not see any indication that the intake fans have filters. The only exception was a filter shown at the bottom of the case. Can you please provide online information that shows the intake fans are filtered?

This is an important issue and I will not be able to buy this case without the assurance that filters are part of the case or can be added as accessories. There is no visible indication that the case has holes punched at the intake fan corners to accept filters.

END EMAIL TO LIAN LI

­­­­­­­­-------------------------------------------------

So this case could very well have an undisclosed cold beer tap on top since they don’t reveal important features like fan filters.  Apparently Lian Li’s Sales Dept isn’t too interested in selling this model in the way they disclose case Features on their website.   This is why I thought to get some feedback from those here who use Lian-Li cases, and any instances of unadvertised beer taps, which could be a really hot item, no offense to any teetotalers.

Note the Lian-Li Sales Department suggestion to add filters to the top of the case in their reply.  That is not usually recommended since these are exhaust openings not requiring filters.

I have noticed that many on this forum like the quality of Lian Li cases, but the question arises as to why an American company can’t clean the clock of a company like Lian Li on price and features with a competing product based on responses I have received from Lian Li. 

Perhaps, given the current economy, gross errors were made in clearing out the “dead wood” domestically.  My own take on this is that our industry is being killed by government policies, regulations and the propensity of the remaining enterprises to rely too heavily on business that ultimately is dependent on government contracts.  That leads to gross distortions of the labor market which is politically motivated rather than market driven forcing me to fathom unclear sales propaganda from foreign sources.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report