cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
shorteri
368 Views, 2 Replies

Laptop Help

Between these two laptops which will be better to run AutoCAD and its 3D specs. Note: This is for a few years to get through school and will be used only for CAD and probably email.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/...

or

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/HP+-+Pavilion+Laptop+/+AMD+A-Series+Processor+/+15.6%22+Display+/+6GB+Me...

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
OMCUSNR
in reply to: shorteri

Hmm - the links didn't work for me.

My one MAJOR recommendation for any cad system is a 17" screen min.  I know others say you can get by with 15", but I'm not buying it.  The menus take up too much screen real estate to be able to do any real drafting on anything under 17", and still be able to see parts.

I've been drafting since acad 2.1g on an IBM AT, and as the program has become bloated with menus and dialouge boxes, 17" is min, and 2 24"ers are good.  You just plain can't have a big enough screen to do production work.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 3 of 3
sam_m
in reply to: OMCUSNR

Mate, i think it's because screen resolution not size dictate the available real-estate.  A 1080p 15" will have its menus in the same % of the screen as a 17" 1080p (or even 24" 1080p) - all will have the same usable real-estate.  But... there's no denying that a larger screen is easier on the eyes (and therefore easier to use for any length of time) at these higher resolutions.  Compounded by the rarity of higher resolution 15" screens means there's some truth in your rule of thumb.

Just thought I'd explain why a 15" screen isn't necessarily any worse off than a 17" if portability is the primary goal (and you have good eyes).

Personally would suggest a high res 1080 15" (for maximum portability) and a 22-24" tft at home/work which you can plug the laptop in and use when stationary - best of both worlds.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report