Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Laptop for AutoCAD (modeling and rendering) & Revit

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
saraedith
848 Views, 3 Replies

Laptop for AutoCAD (modeling and rendering) & Revit

I'm considering this laptop for AutoCAD (especially modeling and rendering {until I move on to another high-end modeling/rendering program . . .  but sometime in future}) AND Revit. I'm a student and this seems the best I can do within my budget (about $1,000). My main concern is will these programs work without strange reactions to this configuration? Or, is there something I should ask for instead . . . ? Feedback is appreciated - thanks!

Dell XPS 17
Item 225-0587

2nd generation Intel® Core™ i7-2630QM processor 2.00 GHz with Turbo Boost 2.0 up to 2.90 GHz

8GB Shared Dual Channel DDR3 Memory

Standard Keyboard - English

17.3" FHD (1080p) with 2.0MP HD Webcam

NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 550M 1GB graphics with Optimus

750GB 7200 RPM SATA Hard Drive

Elemental Silver Aluminum

Genuine Windows® Home Premium, 64-Bit, English

Integrated 10/100/1000 Network Card

Adobe® Acrobat® Reader

Tray Load Blu-ray Disc BD-Combo (Reads BD and Writes to DVD/CD)

JBL 2.1 Speakers with Waves Maxx Audio 3

Intel® Centrino® Wireless-N 1000

Microsoft® Office Starter: reduced-functionality Word & Excel w/ ads. No PowerPoint or Outlook

McAfee SecurityCenter, 15-Months

56 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

1 Year In-Home Service after Remote Diagnosis

DataSafe 2.0 Online Backup 2GB for 1 year

No Mobile Broad Band Selected

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
OMCUSNR
in reply to: saraedith

Looks like a good laptop for what you want.

What's the cost on this one?  If you could lower the cost, you don't need that big a hard drive (400 to 500 is enough), & you don't need a bluray device (how many movies you plan on watching going to school?).   Dump the Office stuff, and the McAfee.  Get a student edition of  Student edition office.  Use Kaspersky.

What OS comes with it?  You'll need the 64 bit version of Win 7, and I'd recommend the Pro (or higher version, no home versions).

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 3 of 4
sam_m
in reply to: saraedith

I've got a Dell 15" XPS, ace laptop, especially with the 1080p screen.

Thought I should mention that the Nvidia Optimus graphics system is frustrating until you have it setup...  Basically it's 2 graphics cards running side by side, a low power 2d card and the high power GeForce which should kick in with any 3d load.  The drivers out of the box are old and bad, and it sometimes doesn't swap over to the decent graphics card - v frustrating (sadly no bios or other option to tell it to run the GeForce all the time).  Use the latest Nvidia drivers (think I'm on beta 280.something) and you can now tell it which exe to use which graphics card with and solves any problems.

Sam M.
Inventor and Showcase monkey

Please mark this response as "Accept as Solution" if it answers your question...
If you have found any post to be helpful, even if it's not a direct solution, then please provide that author kudos - spread that love 😄

Message 4 of 4
saraedith
in reply to: sam_m

Thanks all for the info. everyone. I'm taking into consideration your suggestions - thanks again!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report