Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How compatible is Radeon HD 6990 4GB in maya 2012 and mudbox 2013

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
Scoliotix
977 Views, 3 Replies

How compatible is Radeon HD 6990 4GB in maya 2012 and mudbox 2013

I am in the process of getting a new computer and about to buy the ATI Radeon HD 6990 4GB card as that is the best one in my area. I would've chosen the gtx 580 3gb but it is not available. I know i should probably be getting a quadro or firepro card, but i just dont see those as neccessary for the price that they are in. Also the radeon hd 6990 is a single stand alone card, but crossfire can be an option. I am wondering if i will still get issues with my card with this, since i do hear crossfire dual multiple GPUs have problems in maya and also will only be read as one card. to be exact, this is the card i will be purchasing, http://www.powercolor.com/Global/products_features.asp?id=333

I'd just like to know how compatible this card is in programs like maya 2012 and mudbox 2013 under windows 7, i know the performance would be very good, but i just don't know of its compatability. most of what i will be doing in these softwares are modeling/sculpting/texturing and rendering. 

I've been hearing of compatibility issues with amd/ati radeon cards with maya and it is mostly due to a driver problem. Have they updated the drivers to accomodate the latest radeon cards yet?

I would like to know before purchasing this expensive video card. I also will not be using it for gaming, just purely 3d work.

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
TravisNave
in reply to: Scoliotix

If you put a gun to my head and told me to put a Radeon card in my machine, even for free, I would tell you to pull the trigger until you run out of bullets.

Here is the certified cards that Autodesk recommends:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534&results=1&stype=graphic&produ...

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 4
Scoliotix
in reply to: TravisNave

wow.. really. could you be more specific the problems encountered with radeon cards? The cards on that list is for the 2013 version, i am still using maya 2012, and besides, i am not willing to spend more for a proffesional GPU on that list, a high end consumer card will do just fine for my work.

Message 4 of 4
dgorsman
in reply to: Scoliotix

I wouldn't go *quite* that far, but I've found the nVidia cards and utilities to be less frustrating/easier to manage.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report