Did you mean: 

Get New Graphics Card?

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
bgingerich
371 Views, 1 Reply

Get New Graphics Card?

Hi,

I bought a custom laptop (specs below) and have been having problems with the display adapter crashing and recovering. I'm considering getting a different graphics card (nVidia?)  and would like to know some expert (I hope) opinions on whether or no to get another one. 

I have a student version of AutoCad, and will be using it to learn LISP, 3D modeling (as complex as I can teach myself), and anything else that catches my fancy.

Intel i7-2630QM@2.00GHz

ATI Radeon 6490M card

Mobile Intel(R) HD Graphics

8GB DDR3 Ram

7200rpm Hard Drive

─────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────────
Brandon Gingerich
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
entropist
in reply to: bgingerich

While I probably cant help with your actual problem... I have been seeing a number of similar issues recently. All involving laptops with the 'new' intel hd graphics and a dedicated graphics card.

These units look nice in the reviews - they are supposed to use the intel graphics for desktop and the dedicated card for gaming/3-d type stuff - it's a nice way to save power, at least on paper.

My guess is that they are failing at autocad because they don't know which card to assign to the task. Check around the forums, the problem is likley not the radeon video card itself.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report