Hardware (Read Only)
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I need Quadro or FirePro grahpics card?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
knight427
531 Views, 4 Replies

Do I need Quadro or FirePro grahpics card?

I am a light user of AutoCAD. I normally pull dimensions off of 2D architectural and mechanical drawings to do calculations (in Excel) or simulations (in other specialized programs). Then I pull out my virtual red pen and do markups on their drawings to illustrate my recommended changes. On rare occasion I'll open a 3D file for a visual reference, but not often at all. I am probably going to upgrade from AutoCAD 2005 (full version) to AutoCAD LT 2010 when I buy a new laptop. Occasionally I sketch stuff from scratch, but never in 3d, and I don't do renderings of any kind.

Given all that info, I am wondering if I need to even worry about what graphics card my next laptop should have? Would a CAD graphics card do me any good whatsoever? Mostly I just want to be able to quickly open large batches of 2d drawings and start copy/pasting the parts I need into a single file. I'm thinking I only need to worry about CPU+RAM+SSD...GPU is mostly irrelevant for my basic needs, right?
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
in reply to: knight427

A decent mid-level GeForce or similar level ATI (I don't follow ATI's
numbering conventions) would do you and even most of the heavier 3d users
just fine. The workstation cards have been proven to be way overpriced for
what you get in Acad. Especially now that DirectX 3d is supported.
Message 3 of 5
knight427

Thanks for the reply. That really opens up my options for my next laptop.
Message 4 of 5
perrito_blanco

Good Article here:
http://civil2inventor.wordpress.com/2009/11/12/augi-world-why-should-i-buy-a-cad-card/
Message 5 of 5
knight427

Wow, that article was awesome. Thank you so much!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report