cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
chrisdavis5201
2604 Views, 2 Replies

Computer specs.

It seems that this is a big topic without a lot of solid answers. I am still going through the threads when I have more time.

Here is the problem:

I am in the Survey Department of a Civl company, we use 1000 or more Cogo Points to build surfaces of existing ground and roads for bridge replacements. We also use Hi res aerials (6 inch resolution) for our exhibits. The system runs very chunky in all cases, hangs and I often crash and have to recover (in hopes no data or time was lost). I am even having issue right now as I minimized the screen, now it is stalling on coming back up.  Because our client base is varying (citys and counties to private clients) we use all versions of software from LDD 2009 to Civil 3D 2013. The only other software that runs is IE Explorer, Microsoft Ofice2010 (mainly Outlook on consistently), and Adobe Acrobat. I do not have personal software (no itunes or mp3 software) running simultaneously.

Here are the system Specs:

Dell Precision T3600 (pretty much stock from manufacturer)

Intel Xeon E5-1607 Quad Core 3GHz

8 GB (2gbx4) Ram

Windows 7 Pro x64

Nvidia Quadro 600 1Gb sharing another 3gb system memory

Running dual Samsung Monitors.

I read the White Pages for C3D and it suggests not using (by not listing the processor) the Xeon for 3D modeling.

My Questions then are these:

What system specs should we use to get maximum performance?

Would we be better off using a high gig single core processor over a quad core since a quad core only uses about 16% of available processing power?

Should we invest in even more RAM?

Is there a way to streamline the operating system to get better performance, i.e. shutting off porocesses not needed?

Thank you,

Chris M. Davis

Survey Tech

Mark Thomas & Co.

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
pendean
in reply to: chrisdavis5201

While you wait for others.... 8G Ram is low end, good for casual users but no one else. Plus you made it work with a Vid Card that will steal more system RAM for it's use. So you have even less under special circumstances. Dual monitors to boot and your choices for both Ram and VidCard are not looking good for a serious production platform.

Don't skimp on RAM.
Message 3 of 3
braudpat
in reply to: pendean

Hello

+1 with Pendean : The lack of Ram (8 Gb only) will be your major problem !

Please consider 16 Gb ... 

Don't forget that a Win 7/8 64 bits will already use about 2 Gb ... before launching any Windows program

And as everybody, you will run "simultaneously" ACAD (on many DWGs), Web Brownsers, Winword, Excel, Acrobat, specific applications, etc ...

Bye, Pat

Patrice ( Supporting Troops ) - Autodesk Expert Elite
If you are happy with my answer please mark "Accept as Solution" and if very happy please give me a Kudos (Felicitations) - Thanks

Patrice BRAUD

EESignature

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report