Did you mean: 

computer performance

3 REPLIES 3
SOLVED
Message 1 of 4
disbanded
1041 Views, 3 Replies

computer performance

Howdy, I am looking for a little info on how to resolve my computer issue.

Someone thought that I might get better results if I posted this in the correct place.

Autocad Architecture 2012 can often run fairly slow on my system.  For example, clicking a command icon sometimes takes a few seconds to get going, zooming in large drawings is very, very slow, the startup of Autocad itself takes forever, etc.

As you know, these are time killers, and not knowing much about computers, I am looking for some input on making my cad experience better and much faster.

My current stats:

Gigabyte Ultra Durable 3 mobo - EP43-UD3L

Intel Core 2 CPU

6400 @ 2.13 GHz

3.50 GB of RAM

NVIDIA GTX 550 Ti

I noticed today that I am often using up to 60%+ of my CPU and 2.5 GB or more of my RAM.  That is when I am doing a lot of fast cad stuff.  Copying, pasting, opening, closing, etc. - I am moving real slow.

Is there something I can upgrade to get Autocad to work faster?  New mobo, processor and memory?

I have tried all the other little tricks to get autocad to run faster, but it just doesn't help enough.  Just not sure what I need to do.  Any suggestions are greatly appreciated. 

3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
pendean
in reply to: disbanded

Are you running Winodws XP too?

Your system is far below the recommended configuration, starting with processor speed (3Ghz recommended), then your RAM etc. (requires a Windows upgrade), also assuming your video card is not also robbing from your RAM to fee itself.

What is your typical DWG file size?

Message 3 of 4
dgorsman

You are running an older system, so some slowness is to be expected.  Newer software is larger than older versions as more features are added, so with that 2 GB memory limit (32 bit OS limitation) you will start hitting that upper limit sooner than before.  Thats especially true if you are working with multiple large files, or multiple viewports, and/or working in one of the rendered visual styles.  From the 2012 releases onwards I strongly recommend using a 64 bit OS and a minimum of 8 GB RAM.

Something else to consider is whether you are working with dual monitors.  If so, try putting the application window within the primary monitor only - hardware acceleration is typically only present on the primary monitor.  If it extends on to the secondary monitor then software acceleration is being used, taking up even more RAM.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 4 of 4
disbanded

Sounds like a need to upgrade pretty much everything.  Thanks for your help.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report