cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Message 1 of 3
namssurt
765 Views, 2 Replies

Canon plotters.

Any one have any experience with their plotters? While HP dominates the inkjet plotter market, They no longer make a model that we can use. No 36" models and current models rear load. We are in a trailer adjacent to main office, and space is limited, so moving it away from the wall to load is impossible etc.

We originally were looking at the ipf 755, but are now considering the 710 with colortrac scanner. The latter is cheaper even with the scanner, but durability plus speed are separate questions. The scanner is a secondary feature, but gives us a backup when our copier goes down, plus of course the ability to scan could well be worthwhile over the long run.

How about consmables? The price for 1 ink cartridge is much higher than what we are used to for our old HP, but the capacity is also much higher. Reliability? Our HP is 12 years old and required major service twice. at about $500 each time. Are Canons just as reliable?

jg
2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
omc-usnr
in reply to: namssurt

Que?

What makes you say HP doesn't make any 36" plotters any more?  There were at least 4 models on the HP web site that are roll feed up to 44".  My designjet 500 will still work just fine with Win 7 64pro.  The new 510's ought to work just fine.  There are a couple that are photo quality if you need that too.

No idea on the Canons.  I used to have one that was 11x17 and it was a good unit, but B&W only.

Reid

Message 3 of 3
namssurt
in reply to: omc-usnr

I used their find a solution routine and it gave no results for 36" plotters. The 510 is available in 42" and 24" not 36". Yes it can do 36" but the size is too big for the space available,  Also paper is loaded from the rear, which as I said, won't work in our location. HP did what it wanted without considering the user. They eliminated one of the most popular sizes to force us to buy the more expensive 42 or 44 inch models, and switched to rear load which is a problem in tight spaces. If I could get the drivers and parts for my 455 I wouldn't bother with upgrades. But the driver solution I've been forced to use is so slow that I'm lucky to get an 18x24 page out in 10 minutes, a 24x36 in 18 minutes, and a 36x48 in a half hour. And if it should blow out another belt, I'm S.O.O.L.

jg

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report