Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best Laptop for AutoCAD & Revit

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
xbakerarch
9197 Views, 4 Replies

Best Laptop for AutoCAD & Revit

What is the best laptop to use for AutoCAD and Revit 2010?  Should I consider a Mac Book Pro?

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
namssurt
in reply to: xbakerarch

Mac Book only if you want to waste money or are totally in love with Mac's. At this time neither Axad nor Revit works in native Mac mode and both require loading Windows through parallels or similar or running Boot Camp. The first option slows you down and the second means you have paid too much for a Windows machine since the Mac functions are not accessible without a reboot.

jg
Message 3 of 5
Sinc

If you're concerned about rendering speed, an i7-2920XM is way better than the previous generation's i7-940XM, and will give performance almost up there with an i7-980X desktop.  If you don't care much about rendering, then target a fast CPU with fewer cores, such as the i5-2540M.

Also, keep in mind that Revit wants lots of RAM.

Sinc
Message 4 of 5
OMCUSNR

Search is always a good option:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Hardware/Buying-a-laptop-pour-Autocad-and-Revit/td-p/2935160

How do you want to use this laptop?  If you want ANY production at all, you're looking at a min 17" screen.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.
Message 5 of 5
dgorsman
in reply to: namssurt

Revit is not available for Mac but AutoCAD is, albeit as a first-generation product with all the limitations and problems associated with it.  But otherwise seconded on the Mac opinion - if its important for others to see a fruit logo on your computer, get one; otherwise get a PC.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report