Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

AutoCAD 2010 - 2012 3D issues

8 REPLIES 8
Message 1 of 9
corne_mo
486 Views, 8 Replies

AutoCAD 2010 - 2012 3D issues

We run AutoCAD, verying from version 2010 to 2012 and we do almost only 3D modelling within AutoCAD.

The problem is that more and more often ACAD crashes during modelling. Maximum file sizes of up to 20 MB, but with a lot of xrefs.

All machines run WIN XP pro 32-bit and have 2 or 3 GB of RAM. CPU range from Xeon single core 3,2 GHz to quad core 2,5 GHz. Graphics cards are mostly Quadro FX 1500 to FX 1700.

I thought the problems could be in the graphics card, but reading this forum it seems that no high-end card is needed for correct functioning. I know these configurations aren't the best, but what is the bottleneck making ACAD crash?

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TravisNave
in reply to: corne_mo

Crashes are usually due to video drivers.  Are you running the latest WHQL certified video drivers?  Also, you should probably max out your RAM, but moving to a 64-bit OS would be the most beneficial. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

My Expert Contributions to the
Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 3 of 9
corne_mo
in reply to: TravisNave

All workstations have the latest video drivers. What do you mean with WHQL?

I have to check the RAM usage on the different machines. If this is the problem, is updating the RAM an issue? I thought to have read somewhere that 32-bit machines have a problem with RAM size over 3 GB?

Message 4 of 9
TravisNave

The latest WHQL certified driver is 12.7642.  You can get it here:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/quadro-tesla-winxp-x32-276.42-whql-driver.html

Also, are you running Direct3D software rendering or OpenGL hardware rendering?  Are you using the /3GB switch? 

32-bit Windows XP does have a 3.2 GB RAM limit.  So yes, anything over 3GB is overkill.  Which is why you should consider 64-bit.  Might be time for an upgrade to your infrastructure. 

Travis Nave Send TravisNave a Private Message                                             Need help in your post? Mention me with @TravisNave

Autodesk Forums:
FLEXnet License Admin | MSI Cleanup Utility | .NET Framework Cleanup Tool | IPv6 NLM Fix | adskflex.opt Options File | Combine .LIC Files
Message 5 of 9
dgorsman
in reply to: TravisNave

Its a good time to start another 4-5 year hardware cycle.  Prices are pretty low, lots of options available.

On a side note, before you upgrade to a 64 bit OS & software it would be beneficial to get the users used to detailing to the level required, not below that e.g. not modeling rounded bolt heads if the drawing scales are typically at 1:50.  If not then after you switch you will likely see the same problem in short order, as users will just keep increasing the level of detail until they once again max out the system specs.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 6 of 9
corne_mo

Thanks both for your reactions.

We are indeed in need of new workstations. The problem we had the last two years is that one of the programs we work with didn't run on 64-bit. So the choice for a new machine was fairly difficult with all the 64-bit systems on the market today.

Because we have so much trouble with the current machines I first want to find out the reason for these probs.

@TravisNave: Can you help me a bit on this? Direct3D vs. OpenGL? Where to find it and which is the best?

The same for the /3GB switch?

@dgorsman: We almost never have fully detailed models. The models are large in area though (wo do plant design).

What kind of systems do you recommend? The AutoCAD recommended systems are not that heavy and according to that list our systems should work fine.

Message 7 of 9
TravisNave

Because you have a Quadro card, you should be using OpenGL for hardware rendering.  But you need to have a certified driver.  If you are using Direct3D, then you don't want to use the /3GB switch, which you are probably not using anyway.  You should only consider it if using OpenGL. 

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=5554010&linkID=9240617

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/windows/hardware/ff556232(v=vs.85).aspx

Autodesk Forums:
Message 8 of 9
dgorsman

I'm right there with you - we do plant design as well, and its a constant struggle to keep users from bringing all sorts of fancy "stuff" to make their models look pretty.  The civil department is starting to leverage Civil3D work from our sister company, so thats even more overhead.  Thankfully all of our stuff is available as 64 bit versions, the only thing holding us on 32 bit XP is the fact I'm the only one willing to manage that project and I'm already wearing 6+ hats.  Maybe this year, now that I've got corporate IT "encouraging" all of us to upgrade, this will be high enough priority.  🙂

AutoCAD recommended systems are good for moderate sized standalone stuff - small skid packages, rack modules, and the like.  You start throwing in all the connecting equipment, modules, packages, etc. and it starts to tax the system.  On top of that, newer versions of AutoCAD/Navisworks/etc. have a bigger memory footprint than previous versions, and third-party add-ons get bigger, plus IT starts running more stuff in the background, users get used to streaming media in the background, etc. and it gets easier and easier to bump up against those 32 bit limits.

----------------------------------
If you are going to fly by the seat of your pants, expect friction burns.
"I don't know" is the beginning of knowledge, not the end.

Message 9 of 9
OMCUSNR

If you get Win 7 64 in the Pro or higher version, you'll get the ability to run in an XP emulation mode for the older 32 bit stuff.  You might still have problems, but you'll be able to use the newer ACAD products to a beter potential.  You'll also have better networking capability.  Don't ever look at a "home" version of Win 7.

For a new box for you, I's look at an Intel I7-2600, with a SATA 6 MoBo (like the one in my sig), 16 to 32 gig of ram, a local 500 g Western Digital Velicaraptor HD, and possiblly a 250 g SSD for speed.  You'll need a "better" video card than mine, but go with Nvidia drivers.  They tend to be more stable with ADSK products.

If you're going to network these machines and keep most stuff on the server, you might get away with just the SSD.

Reid

Homebuilt box: I5-2500k, MSI P67A-GD65, 12gig DDR3 1600 ram, ASUS ENGTX460 Video card, WD Velociraptor WD4500HLHX HD, Win 7 64 pro.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report