Did you mean: 

Apple server and Autocad

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Anonymous
878 Views, 5 Replies

Apple server and Autocad

Ok, I know there are a number of discussions about running Autocad on a Mac.  We aren't replacing our PC's with Apples.  We need to replace our windows server.  It died this morning.  The owner wants to get a Mac server.  (I know nothing about servers.)  As the closest thing to a Autocad expert in the building, he asked me if this will be ok (and I don't think I'm an expert).  So the question is, "With Autocad (LT 2009) installed on our local machines, will there it be compatible with the Mac server?"

Thanks

Cary

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
in reply to: Anonymous

Aree you using the server just to store files or to run anything such as a license server? If it's just a file depository, sure you can waste money and use an Apple as a server.If you use it to serve as anything more than that you'll have to verify the individual programs for availability and functionality on the new server.

Message 3 of 6
Anonymous

File storage for the most part.  All our software is on our local machines.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous

File storage can be done by anything, even with, say, Pentium IV on board. So when the server is totally dedicated to filestorage, try to convince your boss to buy a windows server again. I'm a huge fan of Apple, but this doesn't seem to be the right choice for the job..

Apple servers are expensive and, more importantly, are eol. Apple now advertises a mac pro or mac mini (server configuration) as server. Surely they'll support you for a couple of years when you bought an Apple Xserve, but I think there are better options than buying EOL products.

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous

If all you expect the server to do is to be a file repository, Just get an NAS unit (network addressable storage- a hard drive or raid array that is plugged right into a network port.)

Message 6 of 6
Anonymous

Too late to change his mind, he got a MacPro.  Thanks for all the comments

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report