Community
Insight Energy Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Insight Energy Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Insight Energy topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question on getting Monthly Electricity use for cooling, heating and so on

9 REPLIES 9
SOLVED
Message 1 of 10
duygualb
1195 Views, 9 Replies

Question on getting Monthly Electricity use for cooling, heating and so on

Hi.

I am using GBS and Revit for my Ph.D dissertation and I was wondering if there is an easier way to get monthly electricity use for cooling, heating and so on from gbXML file after running it in GBS. I have downloaded gbXML from GBS website after the simulation. However, it comes as a single line which makes it very difficult to read and it is not easy to grasp values from that file. Then I have tried to export it as a DOE2 inp file and opened it in eQUEST. First of all, some error mesaages popped up regarding height of some components and when I compared the results with the ones in the gbXML file, they seem to be different. 

I would be grateful if somebody would let me know about a better way to get these values. I have attached the gbXML file (I can not attach the doe2 inp file) that I have exported from GBS.

Thank you so much inadvance!

9 REPLIES 9
Message 2 of 10
mstein7484
in reply to: duygualb

Hello,

The Green Building Studio Project Solon feature reports the energy usage data for your project, along with many other metrics.

See the help topic for: Project Solon -- especially the section on Widgets.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

insight.support@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 10
duygualb
in reply to: mstein7484

Thank you for the feedback! Project Solon solved my problem!

Message 4 of 10
duygualb

One more question: How can I download the table format of the results that I have created in Project Solon?

Thanks!

Message 5 of 10
mstein7484

Hi

Unfortunately you cannot download the table format yet but it is in our backlog to enable that feature. Keep in mind that Project Solon is only in it's Alpha release so the capabilities are very limited at this time. Our main goal is to get user feedback so I will certainly add your voice the prioritizing that feature.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 6 of 10
duygualb

Hi.

I just realized that the number that I have got from Project Solon Widgets is not matching with the numbers in GBS runs. I mean, for instance, Total Annual Electricity use (kWh) in GBS analysis (classic view) is not the same with the number that I have got from Widgets (Total electricity use). The number from the widget is like 100 times bigger than the one in GBS classic view. That is wierd! I have several runs under one project. However, when I tried a single run, still the numbers do not match.

I really appreciate any idea or suggestions on that. 

Thnaks in advance!

Message 7 of 10
mstein7484

You may not be looking at results for the project you are comparing results against. In Project Solon you need to select the "More Actions" button on the right of the screen. Then choose "Test Environment". If your project is showing up on the list, make sure to click on it to select it. If it is not on the list you need to add it, and then click on it.

Also the table is missing units, unfortunately. You can see what units are being used by first looking at a bar chart. Typically the units are in kWh for both electricity and fuel.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 10
mra1242

Hi,

This is some information about the issue that you had on reading the gbXML file that you download from GBS website. You can use XML Notepad which provides a simple user interface for browsing and editing XML documents. Here is the link to download.

Mohammad Rahmnai Asl

Message 9 of 10
duygualb

Hi.

Thanks alot for the comment! After choosing the correct project, numbers did match! I had no clue about it at first.

The video tutorial on Project Solon was very helpful: it was very clear and I basically followed the steps described in the video. However, I would suggest adding the part on"Test Environment" and selecting the correct project on the video. I think it would be very helpful for users. 

Thanks!

Message 10 of 10
Mohammad_Asl

Thanks for your comment.

We will try to update this video soon and provide more vidoes too.

Mohammad Asl
High Performance Building Design Researcher
Autodesk, Inc.
Insight360.support@autodesk.com

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report