Community
Insight Energy Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Insight Energy Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Insight Energy topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just Clarifying Method to Read yearly building performance

10 REPLIES 10
Message 1 of 11
amontri
1019 Views, 10 Replies

Just Clarifying Method to Read yearly building performance

I just wanted to make sure that I'm reading the Energy Simulation Results from Green Building Studio correctly.  I need to figure out what class a set of buildings will fall under after I've modeled it with particular walls, windows, etc.  After I perform the energy simulation, is it correct to read the Fuel Consumption for the heating of both spaces AND domestic hot water PLUS the electricity consumption for the HVAC and then divide by the floor area?  

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11
mstein7484
in reply to: amontri

The Energy Use Intensity (EUI) result is the annual sum of all electricity and fuel usage of your project, converted to kBtu, divided by the floor area (kBtu/square foot in IP units).
The electrical consumption will include HVAC, lights, plug loads, miscellaneous equipment. Look at the end use breakdown for details.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

insight.support@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 11
amontri
in reply to: mstein7484

Thank you for the response!  Can you please tell me how I can read the energy consumption for each month for the heating and cooling seasons?

Message 4 of 11
amontri

Just wanted to add to my question, is there a detailed table with the actual values anywhere?

Message 5 of 11
amontri

Oops!  Nevermind, I was just supposed to open Green Building Studio for more details...:)

Message 6 of 11
amontri

Now it looks like I'm talking to myself, but......I found some more detailed breakdown in the Green Building Studio Tab at the top, but can anyone tell me where I can get the actual breakdown of the monthly heating and cooling loads by fields, like the actual values?  For example. the actual value for the heating loads caused by heat loss due to the walls for the month of January?  I see the graph, but where are the numbers?

Also, can anyone tell me how it's being calculated?  For example, are the values in the report primary energy, it must not be, but....what are the assumptions being made about the heating/cooling system?

Thanks for any help!!

Message 7 of 11
mstein7484

Currently GBS does not report this level of detail. More results details are contained in the final gbXML file generated by GBS, in the results sections. You can download this file from the GBS website, Export and Download Data Files page for each run.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 8 of 11
amontri

Thank you for your response. I still can't seem to find out whether the results calculated are primary energy or not. Does anyone know?
Message 9 of 11
mstein7484

The results are for source energy, not site energy. Hope this helps.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 10 of 11
mstein7484

Green Building Studio's new feature, Project Solon (within the Green Building Studio web pages), allows you to create widgets for viewing detailed heating and cooling loads, by either month or year. More details can be found in our Help system: http://help.autodesk.com/view/BUILDING_PERFORMANCE_ANALYSIS/ENU/?guid=GUID-80C2B132-8472-4C0B-A711-6...

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Message 11 of 11
mstein7484

My apologies, but I did not carefully read my earlier reply to your question before posting it.

Here is the correct answer: The results are for site energy used by your project on-site, and not source energy.

Again, my appologies for any confusion.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report