Community
Insight Energy Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Insight Energy Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Insight Energy topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Accurate analysis of stud walls with cavity insulation

2 REPLIES 2
Message 1 of 3
david.salamon
1830 Views, 2 Replies

Accurate analysis of stud walls with cavity insulation

Does Revit / GBS accurately calculate R-values for wall assemblies with insulation between studs?  It doesn't seem like it can without a complex work around involving manually calculating the different material properties and then creating an average to account for differences in thermal bridging depending on material and spacing.  I've searched quite a bit online and haven't found any satisfactory answers. 

Thanks,

dcs

2 REPLIES 2
Message 2 of 3
mstein7484
in reply to: david.salamon

Hello,
Yes, the R-value for wall assemblies with studs is taken into account in the GBS constructions by de-rating the r-value of the construction -- including differences between wood studs and metal studs.

Regards,

Marjorie Stein
QA Analyst
Generative Design Group
Autodesk, Inc.

insight.support@autodesk.com
Message 3 of 3
tfellsUEVSB
in reply to: mstein7484

Where would I find the documentation of how stud material, spacing, metal gauge, framing factor, response to degree of continuous insulation beyond, and lateral transfer of heat between the material of the stud and the material of the cavity insulation, is marshalled by Revit and calculated by GBS? I would think it would be necessary, for an accurate model, for the user to be able to control all of these variables and numerical analytics.

Is the same derating calculated for wall ties and roofing fasteners through "continuous" insulation? Where is the type of penetration described to suit the manufacturer's testing data?

In addition, I am looking for ways to measure and control, not only clear field bridging, but also linear and point psi and chi factors from specific enhanced details at shelf angles, parapets, window bucks, balconies, etc.

Any help would be appreciated since Autodesk seems somewhat opaque on these points.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report