Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

V-Red question

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
Anonymous
1217 Views, 4 Replies

V-Red question

Sorry to post in the showcase forum but the V-Red forum is not yet up and running.

I'd like to ask, are V-Red and Showcase GPU or CPU driven?

The reason I ask is because I'm considering investing either in a TESLA card or going for a cheaper option and buying three high end gaming cards and bridging them in SLi.

Before I commit the money I'd like to be sure that I'm doing the best by my software!

Many thanks to all 🙂

4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
cikho
in reply to: Anonymous

first of all you have to evaluate if 3 powerfull gaming cpus in sli are really better than a professional card..

remember that the sli technology doesn't mean total power= single gpu power x number of gpu..

and remember that gaming card are not fully supported, for example most of the latest nvidia gaming drivers makes showcase crash.. and autodesk doesn't even bother to ask nvidia a fix as far as we know.. (not sure if this has been fixed, but i'm running the 306 nvidia drivers for my gt630M in order to have showcase working.. the latest are 332 series..   since 320 drivers it never worked afaik)

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/General/problems-with-nvidia-drivers/td-p/4337646

also consider that, for example with showcase, the hardware usage changes depending on what you do:

realtime render = gpu

raytraced render = CPU

i did not use Vred quite much, but maybe it does the same..

another thing you should consider is to wait new from autodesk about what will be new in the 2015 suite.. i think it will lunch in the next few months, and maybe there will be news about showcase/Vred..

since they're really similar software, maybe one can gain improvement from the other and viceversa, and maybe thiss will changes your choice in the future, just saying..

almost a showcase PRO user 😛

if you find my post useful, please give kudos or mark as solution 😄
Message 3 of 5
MarionLandry
in reply to: cikho

HI,

I am not a V-RED user at all but I would suggest avoiding gaming card to run 3D applications. 

They are not designed for the same purpose and will not give you the best performance. 

I am running the Quadro K2000M on my laptop which I quite performant and no issues. 

On my desktop, I have the Quadro K5000 and a Tesla C2070. Showcase doesn't use the power of the tesla board. It's only good to render with iray when using 3ds Max Design. 

SHowcase has had a lot of issues with various gaming cards. You will find a lot of negative post about that on this forum. 

I strongly suggest to keep with the recommended hardware. 

Hope this helps

Marion

Message 4 of 5
Anonymous

Marion, Cicho,

Thank you very much for your input, it has been of great help.

The card I am running in the computer at the moment is an Nvidia Quadro K5000

The choice I was looking at was either 

1 x Tesla or 2x SLI3 gpu's working with my existing K5000.

Thank you all for your advice 🙂

Message 5 of 5
Anonymous

Hey Saverio,

I'm going to be running the same applications. I have an 8 core 5960x proc at the moment and wan to invest in a K4200 or K5000. What file size data sets are you working with and how does your K5000 perfrom? Ray trace times? Also what is the rest of your system specs? 

Thanks!!!

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report