Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparency in rendering

5 REPLIES 5
Message 1 of 6
andreas_hess
1982 Views, 5 Replies

Transparency in rendering

Transparency is lost in raytracing in Version 2014. The hardware rendering shows it still correct.

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
we.weslley
in reply to: andreas_hess

Veja se a opção TRANSPARENCY ta ativado

RAY TRACING PROPERTIES

Refractive Index 1.520 dessa forma ficara translucido

Att

Obs.:
- Não se esqueça de marcar a resposta que resolveu o seu problema como solução, isso ajuda os outros usuários em suas buscas;
- Sempre utilize a ferramenta de pesquisa do fórum, a sua duvida já pode estar respondida.
Message 3 of 6
MarionLandry

HI,

what you are seing is actually true. Some materials, mainly the Autodesk Materials glass and metals, will look different in hardward or raytrace mode. This is due to the fact that, hardware rendering display a representation of the material where ray tracing mode gives you the accurate look. 

In ray tracing mode, real reflection, refraction, Absorbance, shadow, ambient shadow and global illumination are calculated and display accuratly (closest to reality)

Therefore, some materials, mainly the Autodesk Material Glass and Metals will disply differently in hardware rendering. (refer to first image) 

In your case, this is exactly what is happening. In hardware mode, the glass doesn't display proper reflection and refraction and gives a certain look. When rendering the same material in ray tracing mode, you start seing the real reflection and refraction. The reflection is stronger then the transparency at that point and you have the feeling of loosing the transparency. On top of it, the refraction is distording the transparency in that particular angle that you have grabed the snapshot. The fact is that the ray tracing mode look is the more accurate look for your material. 

Now from your email, I am getting that you prefer the hardware rendering looks because you mentioned that you have the feeling of loosing the transparency. What I suggest is the following. 

- Load the properties of the glass material, increase the transparency level and decrease the reflection level. (refer to image 2)

OR

-use a Showcase material glass which will give you more consistency between the two rendering mode. (image 3)

Hope this helps.

Marion

Message 4 of 6
andreas_hess

Hi Marion, your help was great.
Thank you

Message 5 of 6
edonline69

Hello,

I have upgraded to 2014 about a month ago and now I have had the chance to "flex" 2014 Showcase muscle.

I design a lot with glass and this issue I haven't seen since Inventor 10 presentation days.

See the two images (1 rendered on 2012 and the other 2014 [both on same machine]). Both glass material are Showcase clear glass.

As you can see the refection doesn't look right in 2014.

Any settings or parameters I'm missing?

Thanks in advance.

Message 6 of 6
cikho
in reply to: edonline69

hi edo.

2012 files does not properly work with 2013 and above..
basically they changed something in the graphic engine and the material setup itself (or something like that). The result is that any file created in 2012 version or earlier looks crappy in 2013 and further..

i'm not sure this is the case, better wait for Marion, but probably the only solution will be to re-create the materials that does not look good

almost a showcase PRO user 😛

if you find my post useful, please give kudos or mark as solution 😄

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report