Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ray tracing problem

13 REPLIES 13
SOLVED
Message 1 of 14
BarryZA
6873 Views, 13 Replies

Ray tracing problem

Forgive me, posting twice in a row Cat Happy

I am trying to show a yacht sitting in the water, so I created a block in Inventor and submerged the yacht to the right level. (material set to liquid)

jpeg set up.jpg

Heres the jpeg:

jpeg test.jpg

and the ray trace. I was hoping for a daytime scene. Is there a setting I am missing? The surface oddities on the yacht are due to superimposing 2 hulls which ctrlH sorts out, but the water, I can't come right.

ray test.jpg

13 REPLIES 13
Message 2 of 14
MarionLandry
in reply to: BarryZA

HI,

You are on the right track but not there yet. 

You have to keep in mind that in order to look real, the water will need to reflect something.. some sort of environment. Right now your scene looks really flat because there is nothing to reflect (no environment)

1- I have created a similar scene then yours and applied the same materials: I used the Autodesk Materials Liquid as per the image: Water-01.png

At this point.. nothing is really exiting because there is no environment in the scene. 

2- The minute I add the environment, the materials are starting to beceom alive: Water-02.png

It is still not what I am looking for. The water is really flat and with the limited customization available within the Autodesk materials liquid, even when I try to adjust the settings.. nothing really is happening.. I would like to see some waves or something that would make it more alive.. and more water like.. 

3- I change choose a Showcase material "clear glass" to replace the Autodesk material liquid. Mostly because I can customize the Showcase material to my need. I didn't do to much. I change the material colour to a aqua colour as well as the transparency. But mostly, I applied a bump "normal" and projected it on my cube using the triplannar projection. This allows me to adjust the size of the bump map to suit my need. 

But because I am viewing under the hardware mode.. it's still not quite convincing. Water03.png

Read the next post

Message 3 of 14
MarionLandry
in reply to: MarionLandry

creating water- Part2 

The only thing you need to do next, is to change to ray tracing mode. Ray tracing mode will give you accurate Reflection, Refraction and Transparency really giving you the look that you need for the water. From the Ray tracing mode you might want to continue tunning your material to achieve the exact result you are after. 

Water result.png

For my water, I reduced the level of transparency and included a small blurred in the reflection. 

I have used for the bump map, the available C:\Program Files\Autodesk\Showcase 2014\support\Materials\brushedMetal_NormalMap.png

It might not be the ideal bump map but it's giving me something similar. I scaled the map considerably to give me nice wave effect. 

I would also suggest to make the water cube much larger (larger then the environment) so we don't see the limit of it. 

Good luck

Message 4 of 14
MarionLandry

Creating water - part3

After browsing online, i found some nice water normal map. 

You can view the difference when using a more appropriate bump map...

There is a wealth of normal map available online (free and some you can buy) 

I have attached the one I found online:

Message 5 of 14
BarryZA

Wow, a thousand thank-you's Marion, or should I say Renee Magritte!

I have swopped out my cube for a much larger circle, so let me get going with applying some texture. And I did end up putting a second block/disk beneath the first with a solid material, but your way is much more realistic.

I'm still on 2013, so I can't apply the DOF like you have unfortunatley.

Let me get going, I see a full day ahead for me..

Message 6 of 14
BarryZA

Stuck!

I followed your first post and applied the brushed metal texture, which worked perfectly. Then I applied the other water texture and it went smooth.(triplanar) now whatever I do, the surface stays smooth.

If I open a new file I can apply both textures perfectly using the same sequence, but nothing seems to make a difference to my "sea" The funny thing is I opened an earlier version of the file I had saved, and I can't apply texture there either.

And yet if I open an unrelated file it works perfectly. I don't think screenshots will work, because the settings look identical to yours. Is there any way forward?

Message 7 of 14
BarryZA

Sorry, can't figure out how to edit my post.

I have discovered the "scale" feature of the bump.

Thank-goodness for the anonimity of the internet.

Message 8 of 14
Steve_Curley

@BarryZA wrote:

Sorry, can't figure out how to edit my post.

Edits are time-limited. 30 mins from when you originally posted, or if the thread receives another reply, whichever comes first.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Message 9 of 14
admaiora
in reply to: Steve_Curley

Water study i tried.

Attached the scene if you will need the water 3d mesh for something.

Admaiora
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 10 of 14
MarionLandry
in reply to: admaiora

Thanks for sharing! I have used this example as a Showcase Facebook post. 

Marion

Message 11 of 14
_DanSolo_
in reply to: admaiora

how did you create the surface the water material is applied to?

Message 12 of 14
BarryZA
in reply to: _DanSolo_

I made a big disk in Inventor, my tool of choice. You would need some or other 3D Cad solid modelling program to achieve this.

Message 13 of 14
_DanSolo_

I was following your steps, but I get stuck at the point of needing to scale the normalmap.

When modifying the "Glass Clear" it allows you to load the normalmap but the scale and position settings remain greyed out and inaccessible for modification. does this very depending on what material I start off with?

http://forums.autodesk.com/autodesk/attachments/autodesk/area-b163/1684/3/Water03.png

"I applied a bump "normal" and projected it on my cube using the triplannar projection. This allows me to adjust the size of the bump map to suit my need. "

This is the part I can't figure out....how to adjust it when the adjustment functionality of the menu is greyed-out

Message 14 of 14
_DanSolo_
in reply to: _DanSolo_

cancel that....it appears that I did not have my selection done properly

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report