Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Multi -GPU Support

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
Anonymous
3084 Views, 8 Replies

Multi -GPU Support

I am wondering if you know if Showcase supports Multi-GPU’s?

Will adding an additional Quadro card boost performance (e.g. frame rate?).

I understand that ray-tracing leverages on CPU speed and cores.

I’m interested in the frame rate and working with Inventor assembly files.

8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
cikho
in reply to: Anonymous

unless you already have the latest generation quadro k6000, i doubt a multiple gpu solution will be cost effective..
first, having 2 gpu does not mean that the total graphic "power" is equal to gpu1+gpu2 power.. it's a more complex calculation most of the time resulting in a less effective solution...
second, the cost of having 2 cards is probably higher than having a single one more performing..

if you already have the k6000, then a double k6000 system is probably the most powerfull solution you can achieve considering certified hardware, but, again, the cost will be so high it is better to understand a way to simplify your models, drop the poly count, reduce the N° of textures and optimize the shadows in order to achieve better framerate with the system you already have..

probably, if showcase could support latest gaming hardware like the titan family, there would be more degrees of freedom in hardware setups..

almost a showcase PRO user 😛

if you find my post useful, please give kudos or mark as solution 😄
Message 3 of 9
Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback.

One last query. I have a Quadro 2000. Will getting a Geforce GTX 780 be better or does Nvidia limit this card compared to the Quadro? E.g. Visual quality, driver features, etc.?

Regards
Damien Jovica | Business Development Manager - Check Out My CAD Blog
MELBOURNE I ADELAIDE I SYDNEY I PERTH I BRISBANE
Level 1, 407 Blackburn Rd, Mount Waverley, Vic. 3149
T: 1300 66 7263 | M: 0400 732 928
E: djovica@redstack.com.au
redstack.com.au

[cid:image008.png@01CEF0FD.8EBBFD80]

[facebook_round][linkedin_round][youtube_round][googleplus_round][twitter_round]
Message 4 of 9
Anifex09

Having more than one card will do nothing for you inside of Maya.  The reason is they can not share memory.  Nvidia is working on a solution for this but for now it would be a waste of money.  Now if you are using this computer to do high end effects inside of Nuke for example than yes adding a Tesla Card will improve the performance of the GPU accelerated features such as ZDepth, Glow, Rays, and so on.  

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous

Maya? I was referring to Showcase...

Regards
Damien Jovica | Business Development Manager - Check Out My CAD Blog
MELBOURNE I ADELAIDE I SYDNEY I PERTH I BRISBANE
Level 1, 407 Blackburn Rd, Mount Waverley, Vic. 3149
T: 1300 66 7263 | M: 0400 732 928
E: djovica@redstack.com.au
redstack.com.au

[cid:image008.png@01CEF0FD.8EBBFD80]

[facebook_round][linkedin_round][youtube_round][googleplus_round][twitter_round]
Message 6 of 9
cikho

the problem is that the geforce family is not certified hardware for showcase..
this means, that, while a the gtx 780 may offer more power than a quadro 2000 at a lower cost, it is not granted that it works with showcase.. vice versa quadro cards and respective drivers are fully supported and certified..

the risk is simply that showcase crashes at startup..
this happened to me with my 630M on my laptop.. currently it works with an old driver, because after a certain release it stoped working, but i did not test the most recent ones..

please refer to this:
geforce drivers problem back in 2013:
http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/general/problems-with-nvidia-drivers/m-p/4337646/highlight/true#M1200

certified hardware for showcase:
http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/syscert?siteID=123112&id=18844534&results=1&stype=graphic&produ...

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
in reply to: cikho

FYI - I have a 1GB Quadro 2000 put in a 1GB Tesla 2050 and installed GPU-Z to see how it behaved and noticed that when working in Showcase, the Tesla GPU is working and peaks at around 50%. 

If I turn on Ray Tracing though, it's all CPU and the Tesla does nothing for performance.

Message 8 of 9
cikho

that's correct.
the gpu doesn't work with raytracing in showcase.. it could work if an integration of Iray ( for example) was developed by autodesk, but that's not obviously the case.

about the tesla/quadro coupling... probably the quadro is slowing down the tesla, afaik is a bit older generation of hardware..
honestly the tesla will probably perform better alone..

Message 9 of 9
MarionLandry
in reply to: cikho

Hi,

Only one graphic card is supported in Showcase. 

Cikho is right.. 

You can look at these two video to see comparison videos. 

http://youtu.be/S-S2JXKE6vA

and

http://youtu.be/zjof3Cpenbg

Marion

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report