Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Materials disapearing after save.

10 REPLIES 10
SOLVED
Message 1 of 11
wford
2114 Views, 10 Replies

Materials disapearing after save.

Is there a reason I'm overlooking for why I lose most of the materials I added using showcase when I close and reopen a file?  It's on the same computer.  I've just started using Showcase after realizing it is faster to use for rendering than Revit.  HoweverI need it to remember where I told it to put materials after the file is closed then reopened.  I tried to google an answer but didn't come up with anything relevant.

Thanks!

10 REPLIES 10
Message 2 of 11

Could you post an example?

This happens on a single file or on all the file you make?

The materials are associated to objects or simply added to the scene?

thanks

Christian Garimberti
Technical Manager and Visualization Enthusiast
Qs Informatica S.r.l. | Qs Infor S.r.l. | My Website
Facebook | Instagram | Youtube | LinkedIn

EESignature

Message 3 of 11
cikho
in reply to: wford

that seems strange, it means the material library is completely empty after opening or materials are automatically reset to revits default?
are you missing all materials or only certain?

can you post detailed infos about showcase version, geometry source (revit?) and eventually provide a sample scene presenting the problem?

p.s  christian si vede che arriviamo in ufficio alla stessa ora 😛 (it's evident we arrive in the office at the same time)

almost a showcase PRO user 😛

if you find my post useful, please give kudos or mark as solution 😄
Message 4 of 11
wford
in reply to: cikho

Attached are the examples.  One shows the rendering before I closed the file and the other shows it after it was saved, closed, then re-opened.  This happens for all projects.  I previously thought it was because I had worked on one computer than another that had different drive names; but this time all work was done on the same computer.

It is showcase 2015 and importing revit 2015. 

Showcase remembers the materials in the list but resets almost all the finishes to default.  I can’t figure out how it is deciding which materials to remember because not all of them are set to default; in the attached example it maintained the graphic and soem wood materials.  And the black on the edges of the table is the same material that isn't showing up elsewhere.

I’m just glad I rendered before I closed the program.  However I did have to re-apply all the materials when I had comments which was annoying.  I’ll get some screen shots if needed…I’ll have to blur out the brand info.

Could this all be because we do additional work in the Revit file?  Are they linked even if I don't tell it to replace the file in Showcase?

Please let me know if you need any more info. 

Message 5 of 11
cikho

showcase updates the files on request, so as long as you don't tell the software to do that, there is no chance you actually have an unintended update..

even if the source file itself was updated..

the material list and application is contained inside the showcase file as textual informations, so, again, it should not be changing by itself unless you update manually something..

the materials you're applying are part of the showcase standards or are you modifying those automatically imported from revit?

can you link a sample showcase file? just 3 cubes with applied materials and the problem showing up..

Message 6 of 11
wford

It is a mix of showcase standards, modified showcase standards, and modified imported from revit.  I will find time to make an example file, busy month.

Thanks for trying to help sort this.

Message 7 of 11
cikho

if it happens only to imported materials, the reason could be materials imported from source file, tend to stay linked to the source, so maybe they just reset themselves when you open..

Message 8 of 11
wford

I think that was it!  I had to start renderings for another project and kepts your comment about the revit native materials in mind and didnt' set any materials up in revit graphically.  I just assigned the materials and left them without render properties.

Is there a step I can take to convert the revit materials over to showcase to make this problem not happen in files where we already have the material render properties partially applied yet not accurate in revit?  Or do I need to just fix those revit files first? 

Is there a good resource you can recommend that I can use to learn more about Showcase?  I did intro videos that come with the program and dived in...sounds like I need to learn a bit more to avoid issues.

Message 9 of 11
cikho

in showcase you can right click a material and select all objects with that material..
and then apply a new one or just a copy.. this is fairly quick unless you have like 300 materials and it should work..

for learning videos, try looking for marion landry's youtube channel..

is the most complete and useful source of help afaik.

Message 10 of 11
wford

Strange, I was selecting all by material and relplacing it.  I will continue to play around with settings.

Message 11 of 11
cikho

well, i'm used to the autodesk alias design -> showcase workflow, maybe with revit there's some issue or trick i don't know

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report