Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Import animated character in Showcase 2013

3 REPLIES 3
Message 1 of 4
lord_of_shred
289 Views, 3 Replies

Import animated character in Showcase 2013

Hello everyone,

I'd describe myself as experienced user with Maya/MoBu/Mudbox and so on. But for my current job I've to create new custom envrionments for Showcase (a program I've never touched before). These tasks are easy.
However, I was wondering if it is possible to get an animated character into Showcase.

Now I started with a test rig and animation. 4 Joints, smooth skin bind, 200 frames of animation. I tried to export the complete rig with the animation baked to the controllers/joints and also I tried a fbx file with a geometry cache appended to it. Both I couldn't open (with the animation) inside of Showcase. I discovered the "import fbx animation" possibility in the helpfiles and tried it out (although as I understand it, it just gets the translation/rotation information out)...which resulted in nothing more than the static model of my fbx object.

So my question is, is it somehow possible to export an animated character (which is animated by deformers (skin or something else)) to Showcase or is showcase unable to perform these tasks?

Thank you very much.

So long - Leo
Maximum creativity means maximum CPU Power 😉

// Latest animation short //
https://vimeo.com/46085748
3 REPLIES 3
Message 2 of 4
DarrenP
in reply to: lord_of_shred

i don't believe showcase can do that
its not really made for what you are trying to do

DarrenP
Did you find this post helpful? Feel free to Like this post.
Did your question get successfully answered? Then click on the ACCEPT SOLUTION button.

EESignature

Message 3 of 4
msreckovic
in reply to: lord_of_shred

Only the rigid transformations on the objects will come in. It doesn't matter how those transformations are computed, as Showcase internally runs the fully fledged FBX SDK to compute the results; however, those animations need to eventually resolve into transformation changes, which means no actual mesh deformations, or any other changes that apply directly to the vertices of the mesh, rather than the transforms.
Message 4 of 4

Hi,

Thanks for your replies. I "feared" that. OK, it's not really my problem, just something that can't be done, and I've to tell the client ;-).

Thanks for your help.

So long - Leo
Maximum creativity means maximum CPU Power 😉

// Latest animation short //
https://vimeo.com/46085748

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report