Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't save an old 2013 file with Showcase 2014

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
miQlo
3411 Views, 20 Replies

Can't save an old 2013 file with Showcase 2014

I opened up a file saved from Showcase 2013 SP4 64bit, when I try to save it as a new file in Showcase 2014 64bit I get this error message "The scene C:\file.a3s could not be saved: u'\xc3'." An empty folder is created but no a3s file. Any ideas?

I'm running an unregistered version at the moment, I haven't got my licence key yet if that matters.
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
MarionLandry
in reply to: miQlo

If I understand properly, you are "saving as" in Showcase 2014?
This error is irrelevant of Showcase.
-Try saving to a different location on your network or local computer
-Try save or save as
-if nothing work, try importing the scene content in a empty scene.
-Try saving the scene as in Showcase 2013 first, then open in 2014 and try saving again.

Let me know if that helps.. One of these option should work.. Marion
Message 3 of 21
fravat

hello everybody,

This problem occured with special caracters in scene... It seem the Showcase 2014 don't allowed to use special caracter !! (like ni the old time unfortunatly )

The error showcase return is the code of the special caracter in python encoding in the scene(i expect..)

I post an Autodesk support case : 08314896

it is a **** emergency cause with the french versions (and the french language !) we have a lot of "é à è ô ê" in the part we import in showcase

For the moment i solve the problem like that :

Check the error code : for exemple : u:'xe9" --> The code is xe9
Go on that site : http://www.fileformat.info/
On the search field : xe9
the site show you that the special caracter in UFT-8 encoding is "é"
Open your a3s showcase file (with notepad++)
Search for all "é" caractere and replace them with another not special caracter (like "e" for exemple"
And do it for every errors you can have...

OR
Wait for an Autodesk Hotfix !!!
🙂
Message 4 of 21
miQlo
in reply to: fravat

Looks like you're right Stoss. I have an imported step file that uses a special character in the file name, and it's the same that the error message complains about.
I followed your steps and now I'm able to save my scene. I had to rename my imported step-files in the xxxx-files folder though.
Nice hack, thank you.
Message 5 of 21
miQlo

I have a similar problem now.
I created a new scene in 2014, imported some step-files and now when I try to save the same error message appear. I tried to rename the faulty parts in the Organizer but that didn't work. Any ideas? I don't want to lose my work and start from the beginning.
Message 6 of 21
MarionLandry

For now, I would suggest avoiding special characters as we have found out that in some cases they might create challenges for Showcase. We will be posting a solution shortly. Until such time, try to rename the objects in your original file.
Marion
Message 7 of 21
miQlo

I have no control over the originals since they're produced elsewhere. I'll have to wait for the fix. Thanks.
Message 8 of 21
Geveke

Have the same problem here, opened a 2013 Inventor *.iam in Showcase 2014 x64 and when i

wanna save there is the same message; "The scene D:\......a3s could not be saved: u'\xc3'

Anyone an idea when a hotfix will be available?

Message 9 of 21
pontuti11

Just came across the hotfix that addresses the issue. Go to:

http://usa.autodesk.com/adsk/servlet/ps/dl/item?siteID=123112&id=21818704&linkID=9242539

Going to test it now.

Message 10 of 21
pontuti11

Works great!

Message 11 of 21
Geveke
in reply to: pontuti11

Thanks, installed the fix.

Message 12 of 21
jlowery

I'm having the same issue (after importing a sketchup drawing into Autocad to use with Showcase) and I am unable to save my file

So, once you've installed the fix (downloaded then ran the dialog box), how do you get your file to save?  I can't close the file or I lose the work .. so am I just SOL or is there something I'm not doing?

Thanks,

Jennie

Message 13 of 21
pontuti11
in reply to: Geveke

Hi Jennie,

supprised the hotfix isn't working for you. Did the hotfix install successfully? Could you post the error that you get when you try to save?

Message 14 of 21
jlowery

ERROR.jpg

As far as I can tell the hotfix installed correctly.  I followed all the prompts and got no error messages, just nothing happened (that I can tell).

Message 15 of 21
jlowery
in reply to: jlowery

Here is a quick video of me installing the hotfix (I tried it again), so if you see me do something wrong, let me know 🙂

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BD5A9WsgJlw
Message 16 of 21
pontuti11

Thanks for the video. I noticed that Showcase was open when you ran the hotfix. I would try this, close showcase first and then run the hotfix. OPunce finished, then startup Showcase and give it a try.

Message 17 of 21
jlowery

That's the problem (like the OP had) .. I have a file that I don't want to lose that I started on and then noticed that it wouldn't save (never had a file tell me it would not save before).

If I close Showcase, I lose the work .. and it's a lot of work lol.

I was hoping I didn't have to close Showcase 😞 bummer

Message 18 of 21
judyyu

It doesn't have the 32 bits version!!!!!
Message 19 of 21
judyyu
in reply to: judyyu

Do you know when it will come out?
Message 20 of 21
pontuti11

Sorry, don't know. Can't understand why Autodesk hasn't released a hotfix for the 32 bit version.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums