Upgrade now and save
Discussion Groups

General

Board Manager
scott.sheppard

Augmented Reality Add-on for Showcase Now Available on Autodesk Labs

1483 Views, 64 Replies
08-09-2012 11:04 AM
We have a free technology preview on Autodesk Labs for augmented reality for Showcase:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/showcase_ar

We are interested in your feedback on the desirability of such an add-on as well as commentary in whether or not you found it easy to use. You can reply on this thread.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
cpennetti

Re: Augmented Reality Add-on for Showcase Now Available on Autodesk Labs

08-09-2012 02:54 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard
I'm a big fan of AR tools, but thinking about how I'd present it to a client, I think having this on a mobile device would be ideal, as opposed to a laptop/desktop that you need a USB camera to work with... which also makes it difficult to keep yourself oriented. Maybe with Windows 8 and tablets running windows it'll be easier. Or, if a mobile version was simply a viewer, and the intial model was setup with the QR code on the desktop?

Good to see these tools coming around through, I like what i saw with the AR on AIM as well, when it was demonstrated on an iPad. Thanks.
Please use plain text.
Board Manager
scott.sheppard

08-09-2012 03:13 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard
Thanks for the feedback. I have a distinct feeling that support for mobile/tablet devices is going to be a popular request.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Please use plain text.
Active Contributor
koates

08-14-2012 01:10 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard
Looks great.
It would be nice if the augmented video existed as a 'virtual camera' on the system, so that the doctored video stream could be sent to Skype or other video chat programs.
I suppose you could share desktop then open Showcase.
Please use plain text.
jbaredesign

08-14-2012 06:07 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard
Tried for an hour this morning w/ no luck. Plug-in installed fine and I followed the steps in the video tutorial, but when it comes time to enable the AR mode I just see my printed sheet of the QR code, no model on it. Objects are grouped, infinite background, marker is linked to the grouped object. I've tried with my models and the car model that came w/ showcase. I'm using showcase 2013 SP2.

Do you need a high megapixel webcam? I'm using the integrated web cam on my Dell M6500, not sure what mp it is.
Please use plain text.
davidmansfield81

08-14-2012 08:27 AM in reply to: jbaredesign
I have tried a lot of models (mostly exported from Revit) and found that any models that are too large and complex never appear (even when shrunk), possibly due to the computer not being able to display them when in AR mode. If its not working the best thing i found to try was a simple model, then make sure you scale it so its about the size of the QR code box and also make sure its sitting on the same level and not floating in the air.

It sometimes seems a case of imported models are offset in either the X,Y,Z plane too far to appear when in AR mode.

Other than that, I have had great success with it so far, been a fun day!
Please use plain text.
Board Manager
scott.sheppard

08-14-2012 09:32 AM in reply to: jbaredesign
Maybe this is caused by the integrated web cam not being supported by OpenCV. So the plugin failed to get the camera frame data. There is a way to check this. In marker setup dialog, press "Capture" button, if the capture marker dialog doesn't show, we can say the camera is not supported. If capture marker dialog shows, please go to the Showcase installed folder, run "ShowcaseConsole.exe", then do all the preparation steps and enable "AR mode" to see whether there is any error message in the console.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Please use plain text.
barth

08-14-2012 05:03 PM in reply to: scott.sheppard
I've got everything working with this plug-in, imported revit models and set the markers works good the only issue I'm having is that the video that comes through Showcase is very grainy and washed out. Bright spots on the marker will make it untrackable. The video running through other programs from the same HD webcam looks much clearer and higher resolution and better contrast.

Please use plain text.
Patrickk_1

08-14-2012 07:06 PM in reply to: barth
Hi Balo,

Plz go to "Appearance"->"Lighting Environment and Background Properties"->"Lighting"->"Exposure value for light conditions", change the number to make the environment light darker and this will get a better contrast.

For higher resolution, currently, in order to balance the performance, the showcase ARPlugin subsamples the resolution. Surely there is track to use the higher resolution; but it is not open to user because the code need to be touched.
Please use plain text.
Distinguished Contributor
DWhiteley

08-15-2012 04:47 AM in reply to: scott.sheppard
Hi Scott, This is a superb tool. I can see even the competition wanting to purchase Showcase after seeing this!
I find it a bit jerky when running with the house example though - any reason why this could be?
It is a shame that the tool is only available for just over 2 months. The app could reach critical mass and then be pulled when users are just getting used to it!

Dave
Please use plain text.