Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Augmented Reality Add-on for Showcase Now Available on Autodesk Labs

84 REPLIES 84
SOLVED
Message 1 of 85
scott.sheppard
14968 Views, 84 Replies

Augmented Reality Add-on for Showcase Now Available on Autodesk Labs

We have a free technology preview on Autodesk Labs for augmented reality for Showcase:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/showcase_ar

We are interested in your feedback on the desirability of such an add-on as well as commentary in whether or not you found it easy to use. You can reply on this thread.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
84 REPLIES 84
Message 21 of 85

So far the technology preview is very cool.
Install location
1. The plugin doesn’t play nice with installing to user profile spaces that are located on a network IE \\DFSNAMEspace\&#xus;ername%\... I have had to switch my Userprofile to point to default windows location to make the plugin work; I can do this since I am an admin. Our group policy unfortunately changes this at logon for consistency purposes for all other employees. I know this was an issue way back in the Alpha days for Newport which have been since fixed. If additional information is needed on specific error please let me know.

I love the idea of this add-on and can see some use in it for my boss and others to easily compile and play with models without the intimidation of controlling the 3D mouse or using the Showcase software.

However I had the same issues as you. We were able to finally get it installed just as you had to do.

Once installed I was following the video but when it comes to place the marker on my grouped model file it throws up two dialog warnings: one is looking for backplate.png and the other is looking for plane.fbx.

How do I go about correcting this issue so that we can play with the add-on?

Please see attached screenshots. Thanks!

Kenny

Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 22 of 85

OK I got it fixed by using Libraries/Documents rather than it trying to use user/myname/My Documents location. Showcase did not install to that location by default. Was this built on Vista or Win7? This takes some work to get this up and running if its a machine used in a domain network.
Regards,
Kenny
If this post solved your issue please mark "Accept as Solution". It helps everyone...really!
Message 23 of 85

I am exepriencing the same as videoguy said. The model jumps all around and now my viewcube gets 'locked' in the top view. I can rotate via the cube or 3Dconnexion space pilot but it does this jerky and slowly. As soon as I release the cube or stop rotating the space pilot the view snaps or locks back into the top view. I have to shut down Showcase and then restart it. So far the only model I've been able to successfully have it work is the watch sample, which is a shame as I'd love to show the boss this with our own data set. also wished it would last longer than 2 months.

It would be VERY cool if you could make this work with an ipad camera. That way I can take this into the conference room and it would be like they are viewing into a virtual world and very interactive.
Regards,
Kenny
Message 24 of 85

I am glad you got it working. Thank you for teh feedback. A better installer is something we can pursue if we ever deliver a production version of this technology.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 25 of 85

Well I have it working, but to a degree. For whatever reason my models do not seem to work consistantly. When I add the marker image and assign it to my selection it causes my models to jump around until finally they end up way off from the marker plane and coordinate system. Even if I tell my model to position on the floor again and line it up on top of the marker plane it will not be visible once I enable AR camera. However if I use the ADSK sample files this behavior does not happen and they generally work every time. I can provide you a file or data set of our models if that would help you and see if you can replicate the behavior?

On the plus side everyone here at my company LOVES this. They think it is the coolest thing and we can see using this at our trade shows. Just like at AU every year, these types of things seem to suck people in and they love to play with them. We can also see using them to collaborate with clients as the design process unfolds. We hope ADSK brings this to fruition!
Regards,
Kenny
Message 26 of 85

Sometimes when I shut down Showcase 2013 I find that it does not fully shutdown. I am able to replicate this behavior if I use the AR plug-in. I can go into task manager and see it still running in the Processes. I have also seen it tie up tons of memory as I open and close the software throughout the day. I have monitored it in the Resource Monitor and had to kill the running processes from the memory. Has anyone else expeirienced this behavior?

Previously I had opened and closed the software numerous times to test without using AR plug-in. The next time I use the software I used the AR plug-in to test and then closed the software. That's when I notice the strange behavior of it running in the background and tieing up memory. Attached is a screen shot after AR plug-in. Notice the Showcase icon on the task bar is not selected or showing that the software is in use however you can see it still tied up in the processes and memory.

Regards,
Kenny
Message 27 of 85
jcroker
in reply to: scott.sheppard

What are the WebCam requirements? Min/Max Resolution?
Or, what video file formats are supported for use from file?

Looks like fun, would love to try it, but first I need a new webcam. My old one doesn't work on Win 7.

Thanks
Message 28 of 85

The web cameras Brian Pene has tested with are the Logitech brand like the HD Pro Webcam C920. He has had some issues with embedded web cams like with the Dell laptops.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 29 of 85

Today the team gave me an update that extends the technology preview to January 31, 2013. You can download the new installer from the Labs site.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 30 of 85
Anonymous

Hi, very fun plugin to play with. I have gotten AR to work with a cheap Logitech webcam, but the resolution is not great, so the marker is not read very well. So I tried using my Canon 7D as the camera, but it won't recognize it.

So I recorded a movie with the 7D (with the marker), and chose the "Capture from File" option, selected the .mov file, but got this error:

No frame data, AR will quit.

Any idea why it won't use my prerecorded movie? Are there certain limitations for the type of movie file, resolution, frame rate, etc.?

Thanks
Message 31 of 85
msreckovic

I don't actually know what limitations are there on the prerecorded movies and AR, but since it's on Windows, uncompressed AVI is the lowest common denominator, so it should have the best chance of working.
Message 32 of 85

Hi Bernhard,
Can I ask please what cam you are using and what environment/lighting setup? Did you have to tweak to get this output quality?
I am not getting anywhere near this crisp an image and I have tried both a webcam and imported video.

Thanks
Mike
Message 33 of 85

I posted an update that extends the technology preview to April 30, 2013.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 34 of 85
wirefram3d

I posted an update that extends the technology preview to April 30, 2013.

yeah, now it's compatible with sp4
Message 35 of 85
McMissile

I would love to demo this live but I have an issue that the webcams I'm using (both the cheap MS one or the HD on my Lenovo laptop)are zoomed in way too much and the image is very pixelated. Is there anyway to control this? The image is fine when I teleconference it's just in showcase.
Message 36 of 85
mel.mcgerr

I have just upgraded to the Autodesk Building Design Suite premium 2013 and am attempting to add the AR plugin for Showcase 2013. However, as much as i seem to be following the instructions on the Labs site I cannot get the AR plugin to appear on the toolbar at the top of the Showcase window. I am opening the 64 bit plugin. Is there anything obvious that i may be missing that you could suggest because, as I have said, I am following instructions outklined on the Labs download page. Many thanks and I am looking forward to playing around with this new exciting tool.
Message 37 of 85
mel.mcgerr

Continuing on from the above post....I have noticed an issue on the set up screen when it asks you to please verify that the address of the Showcase program is correct.

The address where showcase has been installed is : C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\Autodesk as noted after right clciking and selecting properties for the showcase

whereas on the setup screen for the plugin its says that the installer has detected the Autodesk Showcase 2013 at C:\program files\autodesk\showcase2013\.

The screen pop up asks me to PLS verify but doesnt give me an option to put in the actual address.

Im not sure if this is the cause of me not being able to see the AR plugin in showcase after trying to install it.
Message 38 of 85
mel.mcgerr

I am attempting to now manually install the AR plugin as per the instructions on Labs.blogs.com.

However, the ARpluginCustom.pyo file is not appearing as visible in the C drive Showcase folder when I try to add it from the Add-in Manager dialog and Locate Add in Dialog.

A file seach on the computer itself does reveal however that a ARpluginCustom.pyo file is existing on my computer and properties show that it is in the showcase folder on the the C Drive. However, the file icon from this search is a little blank sheet rather than the icon shown for the ARpluginCustom.pyo file on the instruction sheet on labs. This perhaps suggests the plug-in hasnt loaded correctly maybe in the first place?
Message 39 of 85
mel.mcgerr
in reply to: mel.mcgerr

Perhaps the Autodesk Building Design Suite I recently upgraded to is missing a patch? how can i check if this is the case? Any advice is welcome that may help me resolve this issue as I am eager to use AR with clinets before it disappears from labs.
Message 40 of 85

I would love to demo this live but I have an issue that the webcams I'm using (both the cheap MS one or the HD on my Lenovo laptop)are zoomed in way too much and the image is very pixelated. Is there anyway to control this? The image is fine when I teleconference it's just in showcase.

I have this same problem, the pics compare my webcam image of me in the same spot to show the difference in showcase.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report