Community
Showcase Forum
Welcome to Autodesk’s Showcase Forums. Share your knowledge, ask questions, and explore popular Showcase topics.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Augmented Reality Add-on for Showcase Now Available on Autodesk Labs

84 REPLIES 84
SOLVED
Message 1 of 85
scott.sheppard
14948 Views, 84 Replies

Augmented Reality Add-on for Showcase Now Available on Autodesk Labs

We have a free technology preview on Autodesk Labs for augmented reality for Showcase:

http://labs.autodesk.com/utilities/showcase_ar

We are interested in your feedback on the desirability of such an add-on as well as commentary in whether or not you found it easy to use. You can reply on this thread.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
84 REPLIES 84
Message 61 of 85
MarionLandry
in reply to: albertuschw

Hi,

the Augmented Reality project is closed and won't be released again. It was only a trial project. 

You might want to figure out a different avenue for your graduation project. 

Good luck

Marion

Message 62 of 85
cikho
in reply to: MarionLandry

ouch, that's sad news, i thought someone was stilll working on it.. 😞
could've been a nice add on

almost a showcase PRO user 😛

if you find my post useful, please give kudos or mark as solution 😄
Message 63 of 85

I can`t DOWNLOOOOAD :(((

HELP ME...  PLEASE

Message 64 of 85
cikho
in reply to: muhammad.es

project is closed, download not available anymore

Message 65 of 85
muhammad.es
in reply to: cikho

Nooooooooooooooo :(((

TNX 😞
Message 66 of 85
kunaldigital

Any chance you are going to replace the AR plugin in the near future? or built it into a product? or any replacement to AR plugin avaiable?

Message 67 of 85

Why Autodesk never listens their customers ?

In that case this improvement was really useful. I don't understand their trading policy...

Is there someone in this company which can do something about that plugin ???

Message 68 of 85

The problem is not that we don't listen to our customers, it's that we listen to our customers. The Augmented Reality for Showcase plug-in was not our most popular download. In addition, some users found it difficult to get consistent results. So rather than continue with that particular plug-in, we are looking into other technologies. We conduct technology previews to learn what will be popular with our customers and what will not.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 69 of 85
cikho
in reply to: scott.sheppard

thanks for the answer, this makes sense!
just for my curiosity..
are you trying to develop any other kind of camera tracking/immersive technology? like the oculus for example..

since the plugin is not going to be developed, is there any chance that the original code can be shared throughout the community?

Message 70 of 85
scott.sheppard

We do have a small team in the Office of the CTO, the team that did the plug-in for Showcase, looking at devices like the LeapMotion and the Occulus Rift.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 71 of 85
LyleHardin
in reply to: scott.sheppard

I, too, would like a similar software to highlight our designs. 

I experimented with this while it was in the Labs and have recently seen some impressive demonstrations using similar technology such as Smart Reality from JBKnowledge.

Realizing this is now retired, is there another third party software out there somewhere doing the same thing?

How can I start using this for our own designs?

Message 72 of 85

Hi Scott,
A couple of years, AUTODESK LAB upload a plugging for Showcase and AR. What happened with this plugging? We are in love of this and we want to buy it. PLEASE, could your inform me?
Message 73 of 85

The Augmented Reality plug-in for Showcase was only a technology preview just to get customer feedback. The technology preview has ended. Even if I dug out that old installer, the code would not run because it has a time bomb in it that terminated the code at the end of the technology preview. Though some customers were happy with the preview, the general consensus was that it needed more work in order to be commercially robust. Autodesk continues to investigate virtual reality technology and has made many advances since that original technology preview. I hope this answers your question as to why that old preview is no longer available.

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 74 of 85

Scott,

Thank you so much for your answer. Probably, Autodesk is looking more ambitious software; Obviously, this plugin was really good: easy and should be integrated in Showcase and the users that spend a lot of money would increase the espentation and possibility for to show our projects. A lof of users are in a small companies and we need to be very competitive to encrease our value, spending a lot of time, effort and money.

Excuse me for my insistence, but AR plugin for Showcase was amazing. None other plugin or software in net give us this versatility.
Thank you so much.

Message 75 of 85
LyleHardin
in reply to: frankyjmoreno

If you need to make your own AR, this is a great tutorial on how to use Unity and Vuforia.

I've used this method several times to show off some of our designs.

Not as easy as the Showcase Tech Preview, but following it step by step is not too difficult and it works great.

I even made a little 3D model that pops up when my phone sees my business card so I always have something to show someone.

This really makes me want to hire a Unity programmer.

http://www.justapixel.co.uk/how-to-make-an-ar-app-in-5-minutes-with-unity-and-vuforia/

Message 76 of 85

Hi

The Augment Reality is not available anymore. 

Du you know in which software can we create that?

Thanks

Message 77 of 85
LyleHardin
in reply to: efeizollahi777

There are a few 3rd party apps out there. We use Augmentecture for Revit. It works well if you want to show the entire model, but it does not recognize section boxes, which is a bummer for us since we sometimes want to show parts of our models, rather than the whole thing. Augmentecture is reasonably priced and can be 'rented' monthly.

Message 78 of 85
frankyjmoreno
in reply to: LyleHardin

Thank you so much for your post.

Message 79 of 85

Check out this technology: https://www.visuallive.com/

Scott Sheppard
Program Manager
Autodesk Labs
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 80 of 85
lissacoffey
in reply to: LyleHardin

I have tried a lot of models (mostly exported from Revit) and found that any models that are too large and complex never appear (even when shrunk), possibly due to the computer not being able to display them when in AR mode. If its not working the best thing i found to try was a simple model, then make sure you scale it so its about the size of the QR code box and also make sure its sitting on the same level and not floating in the air.

Thanks
Program Manager
Host and Protect

2015 PDSU Win7 x64 Dell Z620 Xeon 3.7GHz 32GB Nvidia Quadro K5000
Host and Protect

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report