Community
Game Making Forum
Your discussion topics are welcome!
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What software would be great for designing video games?

12 REPLIES 12
Message 1 of 13
cfinch08
852 Views, 12 Replies

What software would be great for designing video games?

just doing this as a hobby. any help would be appreciated. btw, i'm new here.
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: cfinch08

The top two imo are; UDK (Unreal Development Kit) a free and very robust game dev system.
Crysis.. Either wait for the new Cryengine 3 release, or use the sdk that comes with Crywars(latest version of sdk). Cryengine3 will be released sometime this summer and will follow along the lines of Unreal's UDK system.

I would prefer Cryengine 3 as it is the most robust and graphically superior to udk.

Hope that helps a bit.

VinnieMc
Message 3 of 13
AnthonyA

In adition to UDK and Cryengine 3, which is not free, and they do not support indie developers, they only support established studios, there is also Unity3d, a widely used game engine that's multi-platform, and can publish to multi-platform as well (though the free version only supports publishing to windows and mac)

The free version of unity gives you about 95% of what the Pro version gives, there is also an active community that is developing extensions and addons for the engine, some are compatible with both the free and pro versions.

Here's the website Unity3D, and here is a link the the Unity forums Unity forums.
Zbrush 4R5, Max 2012 (might switch to Maya soon)
----
Win 7 Pro X64, Q6600 Intel 2.4GHz Quad Core CPU, 6 GB DDR2 RAM
Samsung 400GB SATA int Hard Drive, TOURO 4TB ext Hard Drive
Asus Std Motherboard, Radeon XFX 7950
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous

I'm a complete newbie in the game developping field but I was always fascinated by the quality of animation in online games. I know the basics of flash animation but I'd like to know which software you recommend for a starter like me? Has anyone of you have experience with internships in companies such as gameduell.com?
Thanks for your help
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous

As stated above; for beginners I would highly recommend Unity3D - it's gaining popularity and getting better every day! While it doesn't compete with UDK/UE/CE in terms of features and graphical ability, it's still incredibly powerful, especially for a free tool!
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous

Thanks for the advice. At the moment I don't have the time to check it out, but I'll let you know when I get started!
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous

Hello m8,
Will be honest with you - if you're a starter - download some free C++ compiler and learn to use it. Also learn C++, which is cool for game creation. I would also suggest you to check out on some simple C++ and directx game at www.astonia.com It's free to play, though it has some system for p2p players... but play as a free player and check out the system, look how controls work, game interface, chat and so on.
As for starters - you really really need to get more familiar with some coding language if you wana go pro someday. As for me - I am coding in C++ and using Directx SDK which is quiet cool... it just takes some time... the cons is time, the pros is you have complete control of everything.

good luck in the journey m8 ;]
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
in reply to: AnthonyA

What are you talking about? UDK has been free for a long time, and CryENGINE 3 is about to be released for free, including the complete C++ source code and a large amount of sample content, in August. While I wouldn't really recommend them to a new user (and would agree that Unity is more fitting for such), it does nobody any good to feed false information.
Message 9 of 13
Anonymous

To be honest one of the best ways to get into game developement, is with Source Engine created by Valve.. It not only gives you pre-material, but gives you a nice user friendly setup.. Thats what I use, and I am a beginner at this too... And I am slowly starting to use UDK.. and waiting for CRYENGINE 3!
Message 10 of 13
Anonymous

Engine:

UDK or Cryengine 2/3, but use UDK because the Cryengine is for very professional Dev. only. You need a Cryengine licence to get usefull support for this engine. The UDK is for non-commercial use FREE and you get good support for free (many people use it, so you find very much free tutorials/videos).

Software:

Modeling: 3Dsmax, Maya

Textures: Photoshop

Programming: Microsoft Visual Studio Express 2010 (non-commercial Free) for C++ Code if needed. When you use the UDK you can make much with Unreal-Script but you can also work with the C++ Source-Code.

Trainings:

Digitaltutors.com (payment needed, but 45$ for one mounth is very cheap, for 3dsmax or maya and many more)

3dbuzz.com (payment needed, some videos free about the udk)

udk.com/forum

and ofc, this forum 🙂
Message 11 of 13
Anonymous

You could do worse than giving this place a try. Their 3D gaming courses are a beginners dream. The course material and content is excellent. It ranges from coding spinning cubes to Potential Visibility Sets.

http://www.gameinstitute.com/
Message 12 of 13
Anonymous

UDK's free but charges royalties on commercial games, and CryEngine is free for non-commercial use only. This means you can use these to learn, but if you want to release a commercial game for free, Unity's a great choice. design3 has tutorials for Unity and UDK at the moment for any interested aspiring or existing developers.
Message 13 of 13
Anonymous

UDK's free but charges royalties on commercial games, and CryEngine is free for non-commercial use only. This means you can use these to learn, but if you want to release a commercial game for free, Unity's a great choice. design3 has tutorials for Unity and UDK at the moment, for any interested aspiring or existing developers: http://www.design3.com/training-center

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report