Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maya to Unity Animation Problems

1 REPLY 1
Message 1 of 2
Anonymous
789 Views, 1 Reply

Maya to Unity Animation Problems

I'm doing a few animation tests with a model head moving its mouth in Maya 2011 and am now trying to export it to Unity so I can try working with it. However, I'm running into multiple problems.

First, when I import it, either as an .MA or .FBX, the one head splits into 4 heads, some with slight variations in the face (I'm guessing because of the animations I had set, but the faces don't resemble my animation's variations), and the teeth & gums used in the model. The face model where the teeth and gums were being housed, however does not appear. For some reason, the Nurbs eyes are also missing.

Second, none of the heads move. The only thing that moves is the teeth & gums, going up and down.

Third, I can't access animation takes (What is the proper term for this?) The most I see is Take001 and I can't edit it at all. The settings are all locked and greyed out. Creating new takes doesn't seem to change things at all.

To test this on another model, I tried a blockman I quickly created made out of simple shapes, with no real modelling techniques and used a very basic skeleton to create a simple and goofy running animation. I encountered a few similar issues as well. While the model did appear, it would not animate. Its animation takes were inaccessable to me. Any new animation takes I created would not affect it at all. The most change I got was when I put the joints in Unity (Which appears as a model for some reason), its pivot point, but not the model itself, moved for a split second after I pressed play and then stopped. I REALLY need to figure out what is wrong.

I also had a few Warnings and Errors that came up every time I tried exporting the FBX for either model which I didn't quite understand. Not only that but, in Unity it keeps giving me a multitude of ImportFBX warnings about all of the joints. This happens even if I check Bake Animations in my export settings and even if I use a .MA Maya file. Admittedly, the facial model I first mentioned isn't mine, it's from a Digital Tutors course about facial rigging, but the model seems sound so I'm not sure what's the issue. (Unless you're subscribed to Digital-Tutors, you unfortunately won't be able to access the project files with the model)

http://www.digitaltutors.com/11/training.php?pid=27

I'm really puzzled and I need to get this solved soon. Does anybody have any idea why this is happening? Is there anything I'm doing wrong? Is there anything I have to do in Maya or am I forgetting something in Unity? I'm not sure if this is Maya or Unity's problem.
1 REPLY 1
Message 2 of 2
Steve_Curley
in reply to: Anonymous

Duplicate posts are not permitted here, as per the forum rules. Your duplicate thread in the Maya forums has therefore been removed.

Max 2016 (SP1/EXT1)
Win7Pro x64 (SP1). i5-3570K @ 4.4GHz, 8Gb Ram, DX11.
nVidia GTX760 (2GB) (Driver 430.86).

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report