Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Why'd you pick Fusion 360?

6 REPLIES 6
Message 1 of 7
kat.ingalls
798 Views, 6 Replies

Why'd you pick Fusion 360?

What was your reason for being interested in Fusion 360?

For me, I've been struggling to bridge the gap between engineering and design since highschool. It seems that, traditionally, you have to pick or or the other. You can't be both designer and engineer. (Fighting this idea is almost my mission statement!)

Fusion 360 is the first product that affirmed that the two are related, and enabled me to bridget that gap. So excited about the future of this product! 🙂

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
6 REPLIES 6
Message 2 of 7
cekuhnen
in reply to: kat.ingalls

Sub-D modeling and with solid/surfaces in a parametric design tree is where I see Fusion360 value.

I grew up with prgrams like Ashlar Cobalt, so construction planes are a little odd to me while I can see their usefulness.

Fusion360 looks to me like a litle brother to Catia which has a perfect SDS - NURBS modeler in one cohesive workflow.

NURBS surfaces are generated on the fly by the underlying polygon SDS mesh.

Which brings up the most important question what will Fusion360 later cost?!

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 3 of 7
Oceanconcepts
in reply to: cekuhnen

Surprising to see another former Cobalt user, that and Vectorworks were my introduction to 3D CAD. 

I'm choosing Fusion out of hope that it will end up being an affordable solution for our very small operation.  We do instrumentation design, which mostly involves electronics and software, but having the ability to integrate and evolve the user interface in a 3D format is incredibly helpful.  I believe we end up with better designs when we work out the entire user experience iteratively. Fusion seems to me to be just about ideally positioned for that sort of integration.  But I agree, cost is a big factor, particularly since this is not our main focus.  At a very affordable price/ subscription, I feel Fusion could develop a great and realtivley untapped new market. If it's expensive, it wil be just another item for those currently using CAD tools.

- Ron

Mostly Mac- currently M1 MacBook Pro

Message 4 of 7
kat.ingalls
in reply to: cekuhnen

Interesting response, Claas! Definitely more technical than my reasoning. 😉

As for your question about cost, there's actually another thread where that's being discussed, check it out:

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/Using-Autodesk-Fusion-360-Beta/question/td-p/3820626

Kat

Fusion 360 Social & Community Manager
twitter: @adskFusion360
facebook: /fusion360
Message 5 of 7
george

Cost is the most important reason. We are 3D printer maker, some of our customer use Pro-E, Solidworks, Inventor. And some

beginner do not have experience using 3D CAD, we chose it because it is afforable 3D CAD that our 3D printer buyer can afford

to use it too.For the 3d printer using, do not need very professional 3D CAD, Fusino 360 is good enough for us.

Message 6 of 7
cekuhnen
in reply to: george

Very true and considering what Rhino costs per licence compared to a year of subscription Fusion 360 looks very attractive.

Specifically the T-Splines module is really well integrated!

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 7 of 7
lure23

Great reasons. Cannot beat Kat's. Poetic.

My reason for being somewhat thrilled of Fusion 360 are pragmatic.

- I tried to master Inventor in 2011 but failed (two THICK books remind me of that!)

- I have a Windows 7 license solely for Inventor (and Solitaire)

- I don't have a very powerful computer

- Sim 360 works seamlessly with Fusion 360

- Fusion 360 interoperability of formats is awesome (had some Rhino files - no problem!)

The "business reason" is needing a tool to make fast (but realistic) mock-ups of engineering ideas. Fusion 360 is akin to the scripting languages in the software side (I may well be the only person to suggest such a parallel?). Fast, good enough, ideation. For production, use other systems.

( Of course, the reality is that scripting languages have become popular even for jobs they are not good for. Same might happen for Fusion 360. )

Asko Kauppi

IT guy into Cleantech.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report