*Expert Elite*
Oceanconcepts

Re: What's your profession (Designer vs Engineer?)

04-06-2013 01:32 PM in reply to: kat.ingalls

Well, my background is in art and anthropology- later on I got involved with technology and started working on user interfaces, integrating both physical and electronic / software aspects.  I see myself as a user of tools, and a tool maker.  Engineering has a toolbox, design has a toolbox, but the most interesting things happen when you don't get stuck in one set of tools. The way Fusion helps to blur the lines is one of it's best aspects.

- Ron

27" iMac Core i5, OS 10.9.4, 8GB RAM
Please use plain text.
*Expert Elite*
cekuhnen

04-06-2013 01:56 PM in reply to: Oceanconcepts

Ocean,

I noticed that people with an art background are actually much more open to different workflows.

I very much agree with your view of the tools and toolbox. I see it the same way.

Maybe in art they train you more to be explorative while in applied arts or design it is a lot more restrictive and result orientated.

What I did for my MFA has nothing todo with product design, but the research I did for my show also informs on a conceptual and interlectual level the way I design.

A product is more than a function being packaged into a shape. And currently it seems also the industry starts to realize that to be good in design you have to go beyond form follows function and what marketing can sell and broaded the typical sell orientated ethnographic research approach and consider also a deeper design anthropology.

Dell HP most of the PC makers are an example for typical research and marketing failures. The made producs that work but completely cancel out cultural relevance and changes in consumer culture.

Apple on the other side was able to not only deliver a product people wanted but also made people realize what they should want.

On a consumer level they were much more successful to produce a product that sells and also affect our perception / expectation.

I remember talks with students that said they like ID more because they are problem solvers unlike artists, to which I pointed out that in my MFA art work the concepts are all research driven and solve creative problems as well.

The areas are different but dont explude each other I think - rather can complete each other.

Art can be more free, while manufacturing has to be able to be sold.

The trick is to let them all infuse each other.

Please use plain text.
aalzagax

12-31-2013 04:53 AM in reply to: kat.ingalls

MD, General Digestive Surgeon, ISIP (Surgical innovation program) Fellow.

I've been drawing things (objects, from backpacks to cars and airplanes) since I was 12, I love to do/create/modify things with my hands and that's why when I finished highscool I had medicine (to become a surgeon) and industrial design as my only two options. Surgery won anyway and I'm super happy about it. Anyway, since I was 16 I tried many CAD programs, from simple ones to sofisticated ones, never passed from doing a torus, they where all very complicated to me (also, I didn't have a design purpose then).

Fusion 360 has eneabed me to -for the first time in my life- put my ideas in a real 3D model, design complicated (to me) mechanizms and ultimately 3D print my prototypes. It's amazing, now I can give my ideas to engineers so they can make them a real!

Please use plain text.