Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What's your Fusion 360 performance like?

77 REPLIES 77
Message 1 of 78
promm
1506 Views, 77 Replies

What's your Fusion 360 performance like?

Hello,

My name is Mike Prom and I am a product manager on the Fusion 360 team.  We are looking for feedback on what is slow performance.  Specifically we would like to know what operations you are doing when you feel that Fusion is performing slow.  For example editing a feature, selecting a component for a joint, rotating the model…  We are aware of the time it can take to open or save in certain situations and work is being done to improve this.  If you can provide an archive model .f3d and give us the steps to repeat the process in which you notice the performance change it would be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your continued engagement with the team.

Tags (1)
77 REPLIES 77
Message 2 of 78
cekuhnen
in reply to: promm

In general Fusion is pretty impressive.
The calculation of tools/features is fast.

The problem I have is the UI being sometimes sluggish.
I feel too much focus is put onto fancy effects and not on fast UI first.

For example after the Jan update opening in the dashboard the project folder list
takes 4 seconds to calculate. Thats insane.

Sketches are pretty fast while sometimes based on zoom and amount of sketches the UI seems to take a performance hit - again I think that has more to do with the UI engine.

solid and surface features again are fantastic fast - same with the time line.

The only area where I brought Fusion to its knees was opening a audi TT file with wheels.
There even selecting the model tool seconds activating the move command was incredible slow.

Alias in this case was performing on the same old hardware very fluid.

So besides the UI issues - top notch!

Claas Kuhnen

Faculty Industrial Design – Wayne State Universit

Chair Interior Design – Wayne State University

Owner studioKuhnen – product : interface : design

Message 3 of 78
promm
in reply to: cekuhnen

Cekuhnen,

Thank you for the reply.  If I understand your comment correctly, when the amount of sketches increase the performances of the UI decreases.  Does it matter if you have the sketches in different components or bodies?  Can you apporximate how many sketches you can create before you notice a difference?

Thank you,

Mike Prom

Message 4 of 78
cekuhnen

I can get noticle lags aalready in a scene like this:

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 7.31.06 PM.png

However this is interesting the lag is not constant, so I assume sometimes Fusion is calcualting something it lags after that it is fine.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 5 of 78
promm

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 4.37.28 PM.pngCekuhnen, could you please turn ont the component color cycling under the inspect and send me a screen shot again.  Thank you

Message 6 of 78
cekuhnen

I di dnot do much yet just sketches etc

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 7.37.48 PM.png

Claas Kuhnen

Message 7 of 78
cekuhnen

ops wrong image

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 8.19.55 PM.png

Claas Kuhnen

Message 8 of 78
TrippyLighting

Thats not an easy to answer question as it pertains to several areas:

1. Viewport rendering.

The january update meant significant performance incrrease in the viewport. Previous slugishness even with all effects turned off was paricularly noticable when zooming with highlighted geometry. That seens to have been fixed.

2. Sketch performance still can use more speed. Sketches that have many elements and constraints still don't update quick enough for visual "animated" feedback. The letter sketch below contains mostly an imported SVG (generated with Inkscape) and any operation on it is very sluggish including just zooming in/out.

Screen Shot 2015-01-21 at 8.24.10 PM.png

I've also noticed a delay in some of the gesture commands I use such as the left hook to add dimensions to a sketch. The delay causes the gesture not being "recorded" completely and fails to result in a command.

Peter Doering
Message 9 of 78
cekuhnen
in reply to: TrippyLighting

I dont even use the gesture system as Fusions performance here is inferior sometimes I drawn on-screen noodels before it reacts - useless.

Again I think the delay is because for what ever reason Fusion is locked up calculating blocking the UI refresh.

Claas Kuhnen

Message 10 of 78
promm

Thank you, that is exactly what I was looking for.

Message 11 of 78
hudriwudri

Sketch constraints. It seems to me that the solver is run too often and does too much calculation (it sometimes changes dimensions on seemingly unrelated parts of the sketch when something is dragged/moved), and it runs on only 1 core. And the most disturbing thing is that it blocks the user interface completely, so I can't really see the difference between intensive calculation and a program hang.

Here is an extreme example: A design that I use to generate pulleys for HTD belts: I open the design, change some user parameters for a given pulley size and copy the resulting component. Definitely not optimized and not technically correct, but it gives me realistic shapes for the common sizes.

To reproduce: Download http://a360.co/1BhXvLt , Modify -> Change Parameter, enter parameter values:

Pulley_shoulder_dia = 16 [instant]

Pulley_flange_dia = 27 [instant]

Pulley_number_teeth = 26 [10 seconds]

Pulley_outer_dia = 24.07 [6 minutes!]

The times vary with different dimensions or a different sequence of parameter changes. Sometimes it also reports "sketch is overconstrained". I can understand that it is unsolvable with some values, but never overconstrained.

Message 12 of 78
lukepighetti

If the grid is very fine my performance drops dramatically. If I manually adjust the grid to be very course, performance returns to normal. In general, the performance is very good.
Message 13 of 78
cekuhnen

so here is a case where the sketch engine works way to slow

Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 5.00.24 PM.png

the sketch is not complex but brings Fusion to a crawl speed when editing the sketch

screen refresh tanks often when zooming in closely then it is fine

when show dimensions is off refresh speed is much much better

this is a pretty simple scene

Claas Kuhnen

Message 14 of 78
macmanpb

The gesture system is rough and useless on mac. 

Message 15 of 78
cekuhnen

I am curious how that one is on windows and if it runs faster what the cause of the lag on the Mac side is

Claas Kuhnen

Message 16 of 78
O.Tan

I believe viewport performance need to be mentioned here, as F360 begun to crawl when there's many components/lines in the assembly and this is running on a hardware that is I guess classified as "high-end"?

Not sure if you've been following the forums, but we had quite a deep discussion regarding viewport performance and render performance awhile back. Below are the links.

Viewport Performance < the problem seen is related to 3D space mouse but other users chimmed in as well regarding to viewport performance issues.

Rendering < OBJ export and OpenCL rendering would be nice. 

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 17 of 78
cekuhnen
in reply to: O.Tan

Screen Shot 2015-01-25 at 10.56.43 PM.png

Opening project drop down menu:

iMac: around 4 seconds - hardly acceptable and usesable btw.

Win7: runs fine nearly instantly

Claas Kuhnen

Message 18 of 78
bverboort

I'd be happy to test and provide results.

Is there a benckmark test you can provide to quantify "performance"?

Best,

Brian

Message 19 of 78
cekuhnen
in reply to: bverboort

So here I ran into a situtation that when you have too many sketch fit points the engine simply tanks and turns moving a point into stop motion.

Without constraints this is quite concerning.

I dont know what the engine has to calculate here so much that to move a point - maybe it is because this is a spline engine again moving one fit point influences

all others and creating a ripple effect. 

I know for a fact that this sketch with NURBS curves in Rhino or such would not be a problem. Maybe another reason to maybe include those as an alternative drafting tool.

Screen Shot 2015-01-31 at 10.51.49 AM.png

Claas Kuhnen

Message 20 of 78
cekuhnen

here is a screencast showing the sketch problem:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Byzv_NlyKp_2YXYyWGhYWFZNX28/view?usp=sharing

After having recreated the sketch with few G0 edges the speed is back - nice and dandy not sure what really caused the issue.

Files are attached:

I simplified the sketch (rebuild)

and the original one

Claas Kuhnen

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report