Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

View defaults to "Orthographic" suddenly?

20 REPLIES 20
SOLVED
Message 1 of 21
Helmi74
4764 Views, 20 Replies

View defaults to "Orthographic" suddenly?

Hey all,

I haven't used Fusion360 quit so much during the last weeks. After an earlier update i suddenly noticed my view beeing Orthographic which i haven't used ever (well apart from using it accidentally). I normally use "Perspective with Ortho faces" like probably most of us do.

But no matter when i switch views i see it defaulting back to Orthographic every now and then. I couldn't find a default setting for that so i was thinking it probably in the past just remembered what i set. Did this behaviour change? Can i somehow avoid having Orthographic set by default or set back from what i set?

Thanks,

Frank

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
20 REPLIES 20
Message 2 of 21
chengyun.yang
in reply to: Helmi74

Hi Frank,

You can change the default camera setting through "Navigation toolbar" -> Display setting -> Camera. Once it is set, it will persist across Fusion sessions. 

Chengyun

Fusion Team

Message 3 of 21
Helmi74
in reply to: chengyun.yang

Well that was actually what i was used to but i'm quite sure this behaviour changed. I can't imagine why i would get back to Orthographic over and over again.

Maybe i have to investigate a bit further to find out when it sets itself back to Orthographic.
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 4 of 21
kingson138

Hi Frank,

I agree with you. I experimented the camera views a little. I think the camera view will change to "Orthographic" by itself once you selected the new Split Screen view. Even when you switched back to the single screen it will be changed to "Orthographic". I think Mr. Yang should experiment that before telling us who had been using the program for over two years how to set the camera view.

Sorry about that Mr. Yang.

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 5 of 21
chengyun.yang
in reply to: kingson138

Hi,

This sounds like a bug that we should fix, instead of a behavior change. If you activate multi-view and then switch back to single view, it should keep the camera setting before the activation of multi-view. We will look into it. 

Thanks

Chengyun

Fusion Team

Message 6 of 21
kingson138
in reply to: chengyun.yang

There is great! Thanks for listening. For that I gave you a big Kudo!

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 7 of 21
Helmi74

for me personally that shouldn't be related to the split view as i haven't used it so far and it also happened before the lastest updated. I will monitor that behaviour a bit closer.
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 8 of 21
kingson138

Hi Frank I will experiment with that behavior tomorrow. My two Mac Minis at the office had the first update with the problematic server configuration that I had fixed. Maybe it happens on that particular update. I will post what I had found here again.  The Split View problem can be duplicated. Please try on your end too. Oh are you using PC or Mac? I am using Mac. If you are using PC then it could be a PC Fusion 360 bug. I had found the Split View bug for Mac thanks to you!

Regards,
Kingson
Using Apple computers
Message 9 of 21
NicolasXu

Hi Frank and Kingson,

Another possible cause - we introduced the “Auto-Look At sketch” option in November update. The option is turned on by default in Preference->General->Design.

When the option is on, view will automatically switch to normal view of sketch plane when creating or editing a sketch. At the same time, the camera will be set to Orthographic so users can easily infer/constrain/dimension to the body edges/vertices which don’t lie in the active sketch plane. If we perform an auto-look-at, this capability will be more discoverable. That's the purpose of the behavior.

On sketch exit, the camera will be set to the previous state (what it was). However, if you close the document when still in sketch environment, the camera state may not been restored. It should be an issue, I will ask the development team to look into it.

When the "Auto Look At Sketch" option is off, the camera should persist as previous version.

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 10 of 21
Helmi74
in reply to: NicolasXu

Thanks, Nicolas - that could be a possible cause.

Second i would like to confirm what Kingson said. There are definitely bugs with Multiple Views.

1. it swithes to orthopgrahic no matter what the view setting in the single view was.
2. it doesn't switch back when setting back to single view
3. The Shortcut (!) does work for Single view -> Multi view but at least for me it doesn't work the other way. Also the label for the keyboard shortcut is wrong. It should be (arrow-up) + 1 not (arrow-up) + ! (where arrow up of course is that little "shift"-arrow.

I think it would be good if Fusion360 would not change the camera view that the user selected at any time. Even if that may sound handy in some cases it is completely weird as there's no visual representation anywhere in the UI that shows which view is selected. You always have to guess that with what you see in the 3D world. The is no good user experience. Why not just keep the settings the user selected?

If you are afraid your users don't find the right setting then why not just show a little hint when the user has set camera to perspective and is in a mode where orthographic or ortho faces would be useful. Just a little message like "You are looking at a sketch. For a better experience you can set your camera to show Ortho faces. <HELP>" and link that help to a function that pops up the menu and highlights the setting. If you make that message ignorable (for example with a checkbox "Don't show this hint again") this doesn't drive your experienced users nuts and still helps your new users.

Automatically changing settings for the user is never a good thing - especially if you don't let the user know.

Frank
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 11 of 21
NicolasXu

Hi Frank,

Thanks for your feedback and the comments.

Regarding the shortcut problems of Multiple Views, I have forwarded it to the development team for a solution (FUS-16182).

Regarding the feedback of camera view, I will forward the feedback to our UX for overall consideration.

Best Regards,

Nicolas Xu
Sr. SQA Eng.
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance Team
Autodesk, Inc.
Message 12 of 21
jakefowler

Hi Frank,

Many thanks for highlighting this issue on the camera resetting. It certainly wasn't our intent to reset your camera to Orthographic each time, but it's an unfortunate limitation/side-effect in this initial version that you're right to call out.

When switching to multiple viewports we default to following the common convention for 4-window layouts, having the top-left, bottom-left and bottom-right views display as synchronised third-angle projections (but allowing you to freely change these camera views & modes as you wish). We use orthographic cameras for these views because the concept of synchronised projected views only really makes sense when using orthographic cameras (we tested it with perspective cameras: it was a mess!). The unwanted side-effect now is that switching back to a single view is overwriting your original camera setting.

We've made an improvement in the internal build now so that Perspective with Ortho Views is maintained both switching to and from multiple viewports - so you should see this behaviour fixed in the next update.

The behaviour when the original camera was pure Perspective won't be affected by this change though. I guess this won't affect your own workflow, but it would be interesting to know what your expectation would be in this scenario:

1. Use Orthographic cameras for the 3 projected views, and a Perspective camera for the 'iso' view in the top-right?
  2. Change all 4 windows to Perspective, and don't allow any syncing between views?
  3. Something else?

Would also be great to get your thoughts on a couple more questions around limitations in the initial implementation that we're looking into potentially changing:

• Currently we reset the viewports each time you re-enable multiple viewports. Would you prefer your 'personal' multi-viewport arrangement to be remembered & restored each time you re-enter multiple viewports? 
  • If you make camera mode changes while using multiple viewports, would you expect them to be reflected when you switch back to a single viewport? Or should it go back to whatever you had originally in your single viewport?

Thanks again for your feedback on this, and any more thoughts you have on this are really appreciated,

Jake

Jake Fowler
Principal Experience Designer
Fusion 360
Autodesk

Message 13 of 21
Helmi74
in reply to: jakefowler

First of all sorry that i didn't reply any earlier - looks like i missed your reply.

I came back to this thread because i was again/still annoyed by the unintended switches of the view mode - but I'll try to answer some of your questions first:

I still don't use multiviews - i've never used them (much) in other software before and i'm completely not used to them so probably i'm just not the right one to talk to on this.

If i would use multi view it would surely be better to remember what the user set - resetting this to defaults every time you switch is most probably a bad user experience. This would force the user to rearrange everything again on every change. Doesn't sound handy.

Regarding the camera angle i'm probably just not using it enough to be able to say something valuable here.

My personal view (and back to the topic where it was originally)

When it comes to my personal habits i'm a totally big fan of "Perspective with Ortho Faces" because it gives me everything i need:

- a "real world" view in 3d space (perspective is the only view mode i can work with)
- an instant "flat view" if i need to work in 2D with an exact perpendicular view down to whatever face.

I understand that this is most probably not valid for other people but whatever view someone uses i think she does this intentionally. I'm still unsure why Fusion switches view modes for me. And additionally there's still the problem that you don't automatically recognize this.

Example: I'm in perspective+ortho faces mode and do some solid modelling. I then create a new sketch on one of the solid models faces. With look at i'm looking at that face now which is perfectly fine and as i'm in persp+ortho mode i'm not surprised to see an ortho face. Beein in Sketch mode i often need to turn view around while sketching to see some details of my model. Suddenly i noticed i've been put into Orthopgrahic mode again without any need. Maybe it's just me but i need to work with 3d models the way i would recognize them in the real world and Orthographic isn't the way that is happening. I can't remember more than 5 situations since working with Fusion360 where the Orthographic mode was anyhow useful for me.

And then again i can't switch with a single button or keystroke. I have to open a menu + a submenu and click back to the right mode, just to get the wrong one again on my next sketch and repeat this "fix for the automatic behaviour".

Frank
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 14 of 21
sjorsvarkevisser

Hi Frank,

Is this issue solved? I seem to have exactly the same problem and its working on my nerves, but there doesnt seem to be a solution?

Looking forward to your reply, its giving me headaches..

Sjors

Message 15 of 21
HunterG66

This is now back as a bug. You can set to perspective and it will change back to ortho after any sketches or actions

Message 16 of 21
geoffrey.depew
in reply to: HunterG66

This is still an issue - when you switch from one option to another - like trying to draw to extruder - once it switches back, it goes back to Orthographic view.

Message 17 of 21
mrraptor98
in reply to: geoffrey.depew

Still an issue in July 2020

Message 18 of 21
robACD2C
in reply to: mrraptor98

This has got to be a bug. I'm so tired of changing my camera back to "Perspective with Orthographic Faces". I can NOT deal with the default camera views. I'm very upset to have to continue to change a personal setting. As a software engineer of 40 years. This should be a simple bug / setting to persist just like my other preferences. This is such a problem for me I will need to find more formal way to report this BUG!!!

Message 19 of 21
MDillehayX95M4

4/15/2022 and having a similar issue. Every time I open a new file it defaults to ortho and I literally never use it. When I open a new file I have to go through the process of selecting the camera view I want rather than being able to set perspective with ortho faces. If I have a rhythm going in my work flow, this can throw me off for a sec when I have to adjust settings every time.

Personally I think an option would be to set up everything you want and having a single box to check to set it to everything you open. "Add Current File Settings to Preferences"

Message 20 of 21
tralfazy

September 2022, this is still a very annoying bug.  Any new sketch puts the camera view back to Orthographic.  I want the camera view to always be "Perspective with Ortho Faces" even when I start a new sketch.  Can someone please fix this?  It's been reported many times and nobody ever fixes it!  Thanks

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report