Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Parts instance updates?

8 REPLIES 8
SOLVED
Message 1 of 9
jdmech
2516 Views, 8 Replies

Parts instance updates?

Hi folks - 

I was wondering if parts will update automatically when they are used in an assembly?

Or do I have to toggle some menu item or preference somewhere?

I noticed that the native parts I have created and placed in assemblies do not automatically update

after a change has been made to the part itself outside of the assembly. Is this the correct behaviour?

Being an Inventor user for years, I'm used to the helpful workflow of being able to modify or update a part

externally (or locally)and then all instances will automatically update

throughout my assemblies, saving me tons of time having to track down every 

instance of the part and update it.    

Thanks - JD

Tags (1)
8 REPLIES 8
Message 2 of 9
TannerReid
in reply to: jdmech

Hi, JD!

So, Fusion works a little differently than inventor when it comes to assemblies. In inventor, assemblies reference outside part files. In Fusion, all of your parts in your assembly exist in the same Fusion File. "Components" are much like external parts. If you copy-paste one, it makes a second instance of that component.

The first couple minutes of this video might help: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LN4bvjfxQ4c

If this doesn't answer it, just reply below, and we can figure it out!

Thanks,
Tanner

Tanner Reid

Product Design Engineer

Message 3 of 9
TannerReid
in reply to: TannerReid

Forgot to mention: When you have multiple instances of one component (Shows up in the browser as [component x]:1 and [component x]:2 ), changing any of the instances will make the same changes over all instances of that component, effectively like changing the original outside part file if you're using Inventor.

Tanner Reid

Product Design Engineer

Message 4 of 9
jdmech
in reply to: TannerReid

Wow! that really helped - thanks! - 

Another question though...

Q: What about going the other way? What i mean is - after working on a part or an assembly,

the graphic thumbnail listed in the Data Panel on the side of the workspace shows an updated view

of the current open assembly or part. Is this the same for the parts or components inside the assembly? Do they update the original versions 

in the list as well? My concern is that if I make a commonly used 'library' part like a caster or muffin fan, I would like to know that any changes to those 

parts will update accordingly in my collection back in the list. I realize this is an Inventor workflow, but helps to eliminate confusion about updated parts

especially in drawings.

Thanks again for your help.

So far - I'm really impressed with the functionality and tool selection.

JD

Message 5 of 9
schneik-adsk

JD, we re working on this for an update early next year. Those with AutoCAD experience call these references x-refs. We refer to the project as distributed design because it will allow teams to distribute there work across multiple linked designs.
Kevin Schneider
Message 6 of 9
jdmech
in reply to: schneik-adsk

Great explanation, thanks. I'll keep playing - and breaking  - ha.

I also found this which very clearly defines the XREF concept. Back in the early '90's when I used to 

work in 2D, I used Ashlar Vellum for about 10 yrs., then 3D Ashlar Cobalt for about 5

and they had a very similiar drawing view generating tools.

cheers - JD

Message 7 of 9
jdmech

Message 8 of 9

Kevin, I'm new to Fusion...in this post you said "we re working on this for an update early next year." - is there more information about work across linked design?

Message 9 of 9

Hi Creative...

I'm not sure if you noticed, but this thread you posted to is from 2014! Quite a long time ago.

What they are talking about here is now called "linking". This is when you can insert designs into another, so updating one updates the others.

My way of doing this is to right click the desired design in the Data panel, choose "Insert into current design" while making sure the design I want it inserted to is open. Note that a design must be saved before you can insert or link a file into it.

Hope this helps.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report