Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

No crash recovery file offered/created

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
Helmi74
1165 Views, 5 Replies

No crash recovery file offered/created

Hi,

i was just working in CAM with an unsaved design (just copied over some components from another design) when Fusion suddenly crashed. After restart i wasn't offered a crash recovery file and the design of course wasn't saved.

I guess this has not happened intentionally, right?

Frank

---
Frank / @helmi

Established 1974. Internet addicted since 1994. Collector of Kudos.
5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
keqingsong
in reply to: Helmi74

You are right Helmi, this should have happened intentionally. I am assuming that the crash recovery dialog has always poped up for you whenever you restarted after a crash? 

Keqing Song
Autodesk Fusion Community Manager
Portland, Oregon, USA

Become an Autodesk Fusion Insider

Message 3 of 6
ahsan.autodesk

Hi Frank,

Even unsaved (unnamed) files should get auto-saved, and so you should have received the crash recovery message after a restart. If you send me your log file(s) from around the time you experienced the problem, I can take a look. As you might know, backups are taken every 5 minutes. So, if the crash happened within 5 minutes of you dirtying the file, it is possible the backup hadn't happen yet. Still, the log file can give us some hints as to what might have happened.

Here are the locations for the log files:

Windows: C:\Users\<windows-id>\AppData\Local\Autodesk\Autodesk Fusion 360\<12 characters cloud id folder>/Logs/

MAC: ~/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/<12 characters cloud id folder>/Logs/

MAC App Store: ~/Library/Containers/com.autodesk.mas.fusion360/Data/Library/Application Support/Autodesk/Autodesk Fusion 360/<12 characters cloud id folder>/Logs/

Thanks

Ahsan

Ahsan Ali
Fusion Senior Software Architect
Message 4 of 6
Helmi74
in reply to: ahsan.autodesk

Unfortunately i can't exactly tell when it was. I have two applog files that are in the time frame that i can see but it's rather big. Here they are https://www.dropbox.com/s/o5kxvfoxpkcbbnh/f360_applog_crash_without_recovery.zip?dl=0

Hope that helps.
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 5 of 6
Helmi74
in reply to: keqingsong

sure, normally crash recovery works even though it's a bit unhandy that the notification dissappears automatically. You should think about changing the notification message type to the one offering buttons to directly execute an action. This would make the message not automatically disappear and also directly offer to open the recovered file.

Examples here http://support.apple.com/de-de/ht5362 - see the second example "Lunch".
---
Frank / @helmi

Message 6 of 6
ahsan.autodesk

Thanks for the log files Frank. By looking at them, I can tell that we indeed tried to auto-save the "Untitled" document many times (14 times to be exact), after every minute or so. However, there was either a command running on the document, or there was some other dialog up, such as the Preferences dialog, and this prevented the auto-save to happen on that document. Whenever a command is running on a document, we assume that the user is actively changing the document's data, and temporarily disable auto-save. This is to prevent any half-baked data to get accidentally written off to disk.

BTW, if auto-save doesn't happen for about half an hour or so, we do show a warning to the user, and suggest that he immediately do a manual save. You probably didn't see this because, apparently, the application crashed within 20 minutes of you changing the new document.

Regarding your suggestion of offering buttons directly on the recovery notification, we'll discuss it internally, and consider it for a future release. Thanks for the suggestion. We clearly need to make the recovery notifications more visible.

Regards,

Ahsan

Ahsan Ali
Fusion Senior Software Architect

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report