Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Move a background canvas

4 REPLIES 4
Message 1 of 5
jonww74
14938 Views, 4 Replies

Move a background canvas

Hi,

I can attach background canvases fine, and I can create extra planes to put them on if needed however I cannot seem to find a way to move/reposition them. The help vidoes show that I can simply 'move' them once selected but that option never seems to appear for me. What have I missed?

Cheers,

Jon

Tags (2)
4 REPLIES 4
Message 2 of 5
BillyBobBilly
in reply to: jonww74

Let me know if you find out.

I just posted something similar today.I need to trace jpegs then move the sketch from the decal or canvas and paste it onto a different face.

Pasting and sketching on top of an imported canvas or decal works, but this plan stops at this point.

thanks

robert

Message 3 of 5

When you attach a canvas to a workplane, you are able to re-position it using the the single-direction translation arrows, as well as the planar manipulator and rotation tool. In the below image you'll see the manipulator I'm referring to. 

Canvas_1.jpg 

After you click 'OK', you can edit your canvas at any time by navigating to it in your browser within your Canvases folder (on the left hand side of your screen), right-clicking on the canvas, and selecting Edit Canvas. This will bring you back to the initial dialog window where you can edit its location, as well as change various other settings.

Canvas_2.jpg

Let me know if this helps!

Taylor Stein

Fusion 360 Evangelist
Message 4 of 5
jonww74
in reply to: taylor.stein

Hi Taylor,

You only have the options to reposition in the plane axes only, i.e. in your example X & Y. It would be good, and I'm sure I've seen it done before, to reposition as an offset from the plane, i.e. Z in your example. At the moment I have to create an offset plane and attach the canvas to that instead. Alternatively I guess I could create a box and apply the canvas to the faces although I would need to consider aspect ratio in that case.

Or have I missed something?

Cheers,

Jon

Message 5 of 5
taylor.stein
in reply to: jonww74

Now I understand what's going on! The Attach Canvas command will place a canvas image on a specified face, not allowing you to then offset it in the 'z' direction. With this command, you'll have to use offset planes. In addition to the Attach Canvas command, there is an "Attach Background Canvas" command that allows you to translate your canvas in any direction you like. To access this command, you'll have to create a Base Feature (Create -> Base Feature), and it is located under the Insert Menu. Why do we have to create a Base Feature? Well, currently the Attach Background Canvas isn't parametric, meaning that it can't dynamically update based on previous commands. For this reason, it lives in a Base Feature - along with other non-parametric commands.

From my personal experience, I stick to the simple Attach Canvas command! Hope this helps!

Taylor Stein

Fusion 360 Evangelist

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report