Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with SVG projection on cylinder face

7 REPLIES 7
SOLVED
Message 1 of 8
GPTech2444
856 Views, 7 Replies

Help with SVG projection on cylinder face

Hi, I've been turning myself inside out trying to work this out. I'm trying to insert a SVG, 3 letters that have been shaped like a barrel onto a cylinder face. 

Here is vid of what I'm doing.

I tried to embed it but an error was displayed saying invalid HTML.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/3beb3b7b-93cc-41d3-97be-6567c6864753

Learn, Grow, Succeed.
7 REPLIES 7
Message 2 of 8
herzinj
in reply to: GPTech2444

Hi GPTech2444,

I’m having a little bit of trouble understanding where the problem is happening for you.  I see that you are trying to project the SVG file onto the cylinder, but I’m not sure where the issue is.  Is it because of the “shaping like a barrel” of the text that you did?  I THINK what you might want to do is just have flat text, and then when you project it, it will curve around the cylindrical surface. 

I’m sorry if this isn’t what you are attempting, but please let me know what part of the video/process is where the main issues occurs and I can try and help out!

James

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png
Message 3 of 8
GPTech2444
in reply to: herzinj

I'm trying to extrude cut the logo on a cylinder so it can be engraved. The distorted shape of the letters is important to keep. I have been able to use the text feature to do the extrude cut but the letters aren't like the logo SVG.
This video shows what I'm trying to acheive but I need to do this with the SVG logo from the first vid.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/main/details/97113f40-6f04-46c4-93fc-0628156bd873

Thanks,

Grant.

Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Message 4 of 8
herzinj

Hi Grant,

OK, I see what you’re dealing with now.  Sorry I didn’t catch on to begin with, I’ll blame it on being Sunday!  It does seem like there are a few things that we could address with this problem, but let’s focus on getting the problem solved first.  I don’t know for sure why it isn’t working, but I would have to guess it is because of the SVG file coming in with all of those points between lines.  I think if you were able to get them to be continuous lines, like when you were showing with just regular text, you wouldn’t have the problem with split surface and then extruding.  As a side note, I think that is the workflow you should use – Split Surface: Extrude.  That is how I was playing around with it.  To test this, you could just sketch over the lines that you import from the SVG and then split the face of the cylinder with those lines.  I know it isn’t a great solution, but would potentially work.  Would you be able to upload the SVG for our support team to work with and come up with a better option?

Another issue, which might be an issue with the software, is after extruding the text only being able to modify the extrusion of the S, and not the other letters.  I don’t think this should be the way it works, so unless there was some funny clicking I didn’t see, we should look into this.  Again, to avoid this it might take some extra steps but should be possible.  If you create the sketch and split/extrude each letter separately, you would then be able to modify each extrusion without issues.  Not a great solution, but to get things moving it should work.

I think my last question it, what type of error are you getting when you try and embed the screencast into the pot on the forum?  I want to make sure we get that taken care of as well so that others don’t have the same trouble!

Thanks,

James

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png
Message 5 of 8
GPTech2444

Hi, here is the SVG, I tried using one I made in inkscape but that had a lot of artifacts that had to be cleaned up, so I tried illustrator and that produced a much cleaner SVG.

Also here is the error I get when I try to embed a screencast.

screen capture embed error.PNG

Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Message 6 of 8
herzinj

Hi Grant,

I think things are not working for me like they are for you, or perhaps I am using a slightly different work flow.  Check out the attached file and let me know if it is what you want with the extruded text (not exactly, but the right concept).  I imported the .svg file like you did, and roughly centered it on the clyinder.  I then used the split face command and split each letter seperately to avoid any issues.  Note, I was able to select the whole letter and split it.  I then used push/pull to pull the S, and then the M and W at the same time.  Let me know if this looks like what you want.  I have attached a sample file as well as a Screencast.

Also, I'll get our team looking at the error message with respect to Screencast.  Here is what mine looks like when embedding.  You might have an extra </p> at the end:

Image.jpg

Thanks,

James

Message 7 of 8
GPTech2444

Thanks James,

I realize now that I was trying to do a cut extrude instead of the face offset. 

It still doesn't give me what I want as the split face command makes the letters appear on the other side of the cylinder.

So the cut extrude would still be the ideal method but this can't be done with the SVG.

I don't understand why I can't project the SVG onto the cylinder face and extrude from that.

Learn, Grow, Succeed.
Message 8 of 8
herzinj

Understood.  One way that you could avoid the letters on the other side would be to do a split face on the cylinder to split it in half (or anywhere).

I will have the development team look into if projecting SVG should be working, though it could just be a limitation at the moment.  If so, I would suggest making this an idea on IdeaStation!

Regards,

James   

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report