Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

hang when navigating timeline

12 REPLIES 12
SOLVED
Message 1 of 13
jamie.q.white
332 Views, 12 Replies

hang when navigating timeline

When I try to navigate the timeline in some files, the beachball comes up and nothing happens for a long time (minutes).  OSX 10.10.1, latest F360 release.  Some files are fine.  Has anyone else noticed this behavior?

-jamie

Tags (3)
12 REPLIES 12
Message 2 of 13

here's a screencast.  Ball is still spinning...

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/49a3cc7d-9d01-4c33-a9fe-79e6cbd4efcb

Message 3 of 13
prabakarm
in reply to: jamie.q.white

Jamie,

I am not able to view the screencast.  Would you be able to share your model with support.fusion360@autodesk.com so that the developers can reproduce the problem to fix it.

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 4 of 13
jamie.q.white
in reply to: prabakarm

thanks.  I shared the project and changed permissions on the screencast:

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/Timeline/49a3cc7d-9d01-4c33-a9fe-79e6cbd4efcb

-jamie

Message 5 of 13
prabakarm

Jamie,

When you say you shared the project are you referring to screencast or your actual Fusion project.  

Looking at your screencast we actually need your model to investigate the hang.  Can you just do a public share of the model with the download option as shown in the screen cast below.  Send it the link to support.fusion360@autodesk.com

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Embed/Timeline/78a80516-29bd-4c5c-87cc-b5c39ac63be3

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 6 of 13
jamie.q.white

Hmm...I tried to share both.  I'll try again with the model. 

https://myhub.autodesk360.com/ue29ccfea/shares/public/SHabee1QT1a327cf2b7a783f98b17d3dbbaa

It should be downloadable.

-jamie

Message 7 of 13
prabakarm

Thanks Jamie.  I was able to reproduce the problem and team is looking into it.

In playing with the model a bit the hang happens in deletephase 1, the last feature in the timeline.  Just deleting that feature makes the timeline hang go away but I am doing that without understanding the intent.  In replaying model I am not able to fully understand the overall intent.  It looks like you were trying to explore various iterations of the pipe as I see many bodies with the same shape.  Is my understanding right.  Can you help us understand your overall objective.  Maybe we can partner with you to help you accomplish it addressing issues along the way.

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 8 of 13
jamie.q.white

Hi Prabakar,

Thanks a lot for the help, especially on a pre-holiday weekend. I am still learning Fusion 360 so my workflow is not well thought-out nor well-organized.  My intent was to try different ways to make sculpted bicycle lugs for 3D printing in titanium.  I have a bit more freedom with the lug shape than is traditional because I will bond carbon tubes into the lugs (as opposed to using the lugs to position mitered steel tubes for brazing, the traditional method).

Do you have suggestions?  I've been modeling the bicycle tubes as precise solid bodies based on sketches of tube profiles and the overal bicycle geometry, then trying to "stretch" T-splines forms around them.  Once I have sculptedthe basic lug shape, I'd like to make a number of copies to explore decorative designs.  I'd love to have some input on how to best organize my work!

Thanks again for the help!

-jamie

Message 9 of 13
prabakarm

We will be happy to help.  We just released a new set of onboarding content with vidoes and PDFs so that it is self paced in our youtube channel.  This should give a good overall sense of Fusion, the concepts and why.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLmA_xUT-8UlJpYbha60oAQMxFlBY371oZ

For you specific design problem, you are essentially trying to create a basic receipe and have variations or configurations of it.  Am I right?  If so, let me get back to you on how best to do it with the tools currently avialable in Fusion.

That said, where we are going with design variations will make it much easier as discussed in this blog.  Would love to get your input on it.

http://forums.autodesk.com/t5/design-differently/the-future-of-collaboration-in-fusion-360/ba-p/5418...

Message 10 of 13

Thanks. We are looking at the model. It seems to be something related to the last two features in the model, the Split and the Delete.

bad features.png

If you delete those two features, the model seems to compute without hanging. Since those features are failing anyway, maybe you could delete them to get yourself back working again.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 11 of 13

Thanks for all the help!  Since I really don't know what I am doing, I decided I needed the practice and started over with a new file. Those 2 operations were meant to get rid of the extruded design on the inside of the head tube.

I hope a cleaner workflow and a better sense of what I am doing will keep me out of trouble.

-jamie

Message 12 of 13
jamie.q.white

The new videos on the Youtube channel have been very helpful. Thanks!

I would like to have a basic lug design that I customize for each client (with decorative debossment, cutouts, shape mods, etc).  Optimally, the basic design would not be static but based on tube profiles and angles that I could adjust without re-creating the design each time.

The plan for design variations discussed in the blog entery would be perfect for my purposes!  Keep going in that direction.

-jamie

Message 13 of 13
haughec

Hi Jamie,

Regarding your query:

"Do you have suggestions?  I've been modeling the bicycle tubes as precise solid bodies based on sketches of tube profiles and the overal bicycle geometry, then trying to "stretch" T-splines forms around them.  Once I have sculptedthe basic lug shape, I'd like to make a number of copies to explore decorative designs.  I'd love to have some input on how to best organize my work!"

You may want to consider turning Design History off while you are exploring form/shape (accessed from the right-click menu from the top node in the Browser) .  This will allow you to more freely copy, modify & delete T-spline bodies.  Once you arrive at a shape you like, you can enable design history again and capture all downstream features.  Note: turning off Design History will discard any features that you've created up until now - the solids, surfaces, etc will remain, but all the of relationships that are captured in your history will be lost.  You may want to make a copy of your design to test this.

Hope this helps,

Charles

Charles Haughey
Fusion 360 User Experience Architect

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report