Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fusion 360 Mac OS X crashes - completely unusable

24 REPLIES 24
SOLVED
Message 1 of 25
Anonymous
5000 Views, 24 Replies

Fusion 360 Mac OS X crashes - completely unusable

I downloaded the trial from the Mac App Store to a Macbook Pro Retina late 2013 with 16GB RAM and SSD drive. The program crashed every time I started it and tried to start the basic tutorial. I submitted a few crash reports to Apple. I had never experienced problems with any applications before trying Fusion 360. I uninstalled it within an hour of launching it and starting the 30-day trial for the first time.

24 REPLIES 24
Message 21 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: herzinj

Sorry for the long wait. It's been a while since I've had the opportunity to sit down and fiddle with this again.

As suggested somewhere in this thread, I attempted to delete the preference file(s) and have unchecked the analytics preferences to no avail. I will be happy to even send the file if this would help. Also, I've sent this to at least 2 other Autodesk employees without a response, but here is a screenrecording and log of the problem.

Fusion Crash

Message 22 of 25
baribak
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Loganwedwards,

Thanks for your follow up. I'm more than happy to speak with you directly regarding this issue.

Feel free to contact me directly at kevin.baribault@autodesk.com.

Regards, KpB

Kevin Baribault
Fusion 360 Quality Assurance
Message 23 of 25
prabakarm
in reply to: Anonymous

Hi Logan,

The team is unable to reproduce the problem without the fusion design.  They can see where the crash is happening with the log file but are not able to replicate it to fix it.  As per our e-mail exchange would you be able to share the design.

Here is a screen cast on how you can share the model.  Please send it to prabakar.murugappan@autodesk.com.

https://screencast.autodesk.com/Main/Details/78a80516-29bd-4c5c-87cc-b5c39ac63be3

Thanks,

Prabakar.

Message 24 of 25
jeff_strater
in reply to: prabakarm

Hi Logan,

It seems that you have run into a performance problem in Fusion.  We think that this is most like the root cause of the problems that you are seeing.  We think that what you are seeing is just very slow compute, and if you waited a very long time, Fusion would eventually come back with the result.  We will get to work on fixing this problem.  The problem is in the pattern feature for the grill:

slow pattern 1.png

That pattern can take up to 15 minutes to compute.  Again, we realize that this is not acceptable, and will fix it.

In the meantime, there are a couple of changes that can be made to improve things for this model:

First, if you change the type of the pattern from "Pattern Features" to "Pattern Faces" it will help a lot, but it still can take up to 5 minutes even with this change.  So, a different approach can get better results.

One approach that I tried, is to use Web instead of Pattern.  I created this sketch (using Sketch pattern):

slow pattern 3.png

And then used Web to create the grill:

slow pattern 2.png

This approach takes the time to compute the grill down to less than 2 minutes.  Still slow, but probably acceptable.  This version is attached as "Vertical Sign.web.f3d"

But the best approach, so far, is to use Body Pattern to create this grill.

Create two of the ribs of the grill, as separate bodies:

slow pattern 4.png

Then, pattern these bodies, all as separate bodies:

slow pattern 5.png

and, combine them into one body using a Combine feature:

slow pattern 6.png

This entire model computes in under 5 seconds!  It is attached as "Vertical Sign.body_pattern.f3d"

I hope that this can get you past these problems, and thanks for pointing out the problem in Fusion.

Jeff Strater (Fusion development)

Jeff Strater
Engineering Director
Message 25 of 25
Anonymous
in reply to: kris_berg

This seems to have fixed my mac crashing problem when I would try to joint two parts. Is this going to ever be fixed? It's been 5 years... My macbook pro is an october 2013 model.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report