Community
Fusion Design, Validate & Document
Stuck on a workflow? Have a tricky question about a Fusion (formerly Fusion 360) feature? Share your project, tips and tricks, ask questions, and get advice from the community.
cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Fractions in dimensions?

5 REPLIES 5
SOLVED
Message 1 of 6
blackpuma
2855 Views, 5 Replies

Fractions in dimensions?

When setting dimensions, is it possible to enter fractions or other simple math in dimensions? e.g. 3/16 rather than having to work out 0.1875, or 17/64 instead of 0.265625? I've played around but it doesn't seem so.

(I understand that with dimensions I can say something like d3+10 to make something 10 units bigger than d3.)

5 REPLIES 5
Message 2 of 6
O.Tan
in reply to: blackpuma

If I understand correctly, yes. You can have formulae in your dimensions.

Added tip: in parametric mode, you can create your own custom parameter, so when you draw, you can write the name of the parameter + your own added equation.

For example, let say rod "length" is 100 with diameter 20 and I know when the rod length is joined on both ends coincidentally, I'll have to add an additional +20 on each side, so since I have a parameter with the value 100, in my rod dimension I can key in "length"+40, so the actual total rod length will be 140 and in the future if I need to change the length, I just go to my user parameter and change the "length" value

Omar Tan
Malaysia
Mac Pro (Late 2013) | 3.7 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xeon E5 | 12GB 1.8 GHz DDR3 ECC | Dual 2GB AMD FirePro D300
MacBook Pro 15" (Late 2016) | 2.6 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i7 | 16GB 2.1 GHz LPDDR3 | 4GB AMD RadeonPro 460
macOS Sierra, Windows 10

Message 3 of 6
TrippyLighting

Yes, you can. Also the formula will be kept intact after entering it.

for 3/16" youd actually have to type in 3"/16

Screen Shot 2014-12-25 at 7.49.14 AM.png

Peter Doering
Message 4 of 6
herzinj

You guys have it right, using fractions is possible, as well as other simple math in equations ( +, -, /, etc).  You can also use them when creating equations with numbers and parameters.  

James

https://damassets.autodesk.net/content/dam/autodesk/logos/autodesk-logo-primary-rgb-black-small_forum.png
Message 5 of 6
blackpuma

This is fabulous — thank you all for your answers.

I tried this again, and it works as expected. I'm not sure what I was doing before. As a software engineer I'm shaking my head at myself.

Message 6 of 6
blackpuma
in reply to: O.Tan

O.Tan: Thanks for the parameter hint. I dug into the help and found the section on parameters. This is a godsend.

Can't find what you're looking for? Ask the community or share your knowledge.

Post to forums  

Autodesk Design & Make Report